CED / Cheshire Electrical Decor Consumer Units

Are these any good?

'm looking for a 17th edition 12-way CU.

Some good cheaper brands (like Wylex) seem to only do 10-way or lots more. CED can be had for less money. I don't want something crappy or awkward, but I don't want to pay MK prices either.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

A silly idea(?): to save cost, a Henly block and two older (not split load, single RCD) consumer units might do the job just as well. They don't seem to cost much on eBay. Wouldn't look as smart though.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

> I'm looking for a 17th edition 12-way CU.

I doubt that you will have any problems with the CU. It is not a brand that I fit, but I have worked on them. The price is not bad for a populated 17th edition CU.

I am not a fan of ready populated CUs as the MCBs are usually not all needed or of the wrong rating.

Have you tried a local electrical wholesalers for a CU? They are selling 10 way hi integrity CUs with 10 MCBs for £40 + VAT at my local wholesalers.

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Cheshire Electrical Decor (who say they're based in Tarporley, Cheshire but give an address in Honiton, Devon) seems to have named their company so that they can sell CED-branded product with the same initials as the importer who are in Essex...

's a pdf catalogue: -

by far at Toolstation (if you're prepared to touch it at all; I wouldn't).

Dave Osborne

Wasn't there a spammer on this group in the distant past with a very similar company/site name and a similar geographical location?

Reply to
fred

Is that a criticism of the CU only or all their products?

I have bought some CED stuff (not CUs) from Toolstation. Some of it has been ok but other stuff I have sent back because I wasn't happy with it but it's a while ago, so I can't quite remember what I wasn't happy about. I'm not sure whether they are an "electrical silverline".

Reply to
Fred

Given the fact that I'm expecting a service life of 25-50 years, I am very much inclined to buy quality British-made electrical accessories.

I expect CED stuff is imported from China and I wouldn't touch any of their product on a point of principle.

There are too many stories going round (and I've seen a few examples) of MCBs with no guts, cables with not enough copper, accessories with not enough brass, obvious ripoffs of quality European products.

Reply to
Dave Osborne