Caustic Stripping - aftermath

Hi, We've an old pine cupboard that's been kicking around for years and finally trying to tidy up.

Think it probably been caustic dipped a while ago, the result being that patches appear to be damp to the touch, spongee and a darker brown.

Is there anything I can do to stabilise what's left?

I've already tried vinegar and washed several times with water. Some areas now look better, but others well :(

Thanks, Tim.

Reply to
timjh0

Providing it hasn't been waxed, or finished in any way, you can make it look a hell of a lot better by brushing on a generous coat of hydrogen peroxide (the 6% version from the chemist's will do if you can't find anything stronger). The difference is not apparent till it's completely dry, but it tends to lighten those soggy dark patches, and generally clean up the appearance. Alas, it won't cure the damp bits, and nor will anything else I'm aware of. Neutralising the alkali residue produces equally hygroscopic salts. AFAIK all sodium salts behave that way, so it wouldn't matter which acid you used

Reply to
stuart noble

Could you not immerse it in a tank of warm water for a bit (same sort of duration they use for the duppign) and try and dissolve out the sodium salts? perhap schange the water a few times.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Most, if not all, chemists no longer stock the 6% version. 3% seems to have become the norm since the 2006 plot for liquid bombs to be carried on to aircraft. The bombs were to be made with hydrogen peroxide.

Reply to
Bruce

Maybe, but they normally power hose the stuff when it comes out of the tank, and that doesn't always shift it. It's partly to do with how porous the wood is, and partly the fact that a caustic solution is more penetrative than plain water. It has a very soapy feel if you get it inside your Marigold :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

The pharmacy in Sainsburys Savacentre had the 6% a couple of months ago. Asked me what I wanted it for and I said to make bombs. She said I didn't look the type and handed it over. I didn't know whether to take that as a compliment.

Reply to
stuart noble

My nearest Sainsbury's pharmacy has sold out of its stock of 6%. The same applies to Tesco, Morrisons, Boots and several branches of pharmacy chains.

Apparently all new supplies are 3%.

Reply to
Bruce

That's it dissolving your skin, and soap is one of the by-products...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's pretty soapy anyway. A globule of deionised water on a sheet of glass more or less stays put, whereas an alkaline equivalent spreads in all directions. Just as well we don't get alkaline rain I suppose

Reply to
stuart noble

Too expensive anyway. Go to a hairdresser's wholesaler.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Which might be more expensive by the time you've found one and driven there. We're talking 69 pence here.

Reply to
stuart noble

They do in Middlesbrough. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

The local wholesale Sally's only stocks 3%.

It looks as though the only 6% that's easily available is old stock.

Reply to
Bruce

Thanks for replies guys. Residual salt makes sense... but there is no way to get rid of it? :( Trying to remember my school boy chemistry ;-)

Cheers,

Tim.

PS Its not been waxed yet

Reply to
timjh0

Thanks for replies guys. Residual salt makes sense... but there is no way to get rid of it? :( Trying to remember my school boy chemistry ;-)

Cheers,

Tim.

PS Its not been waxed yet

Reply to
timjh0

Ah well. Just use twice as much then. For this application the strength isn't that crucial

Reply to
stuart noble

Saponification IIRC.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Unfortunately, my application - the routine sterilisation of a silicone medical device - needs the 6%. The 3% version is ineffectual.

Reply to
Bruce

You could always buy a litre from a wood finishing supplier and water it down. It's part 2 of a 2 part pack but they usually sell it separately. That's more like 30% IIRC, at any rate enough to make your fingers sting like hell and turn white. Maybe an agricultural supplier if you're out in the sticks?

Reply to
stuart noble

Some good ideas there, Stuart, thanks. It would also be possible to end up with something stronger than 6%, which would be a good thing.

Reply to
Bruce