Carpet shampoo

Having used one of Homebase's Rug Doctors and been very impressed with the cleansing of the carpet. Is there any way I can raise the pile of a wool carpet to its original state?
Dave
Dave wrote:

It does depend on the type of weave, but in general if the Rug Doctor power brush didn't do the job nothing will. Only suggestion I can offer is to do it again - no guarantee it will work.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I went over it 3 times.
To you and other posters to this question, the carpet was laid about 10 years ago and is quite an expensive Axminster carpet. Over the years the pile has gone a bit like a woolen sweater that has been washed the wrong. It has gone flat.
I am not looking for a machine that will bring the pile back vertical, but a method that I can use.
Dave

It doesn't quite answer your question, because it specifies a machine; - but, the Carpet Cleaner (shampooer) Vax Rapide XL does precisely that. The machine which shampoo's the carpet and vacuums the solution off, then permits rinsing with clean water -and sucking that off leaves the carpet clean, dry and with the pile upright!
It achieves this by having two contra-rotating powered roller brush-bars. The two bars have the effect of 'up-righting' the carpet.
We've tried it on a stair carpet -about six years old- the carpet had been definitely flattened over the years. After the machine had done its bit, the pile was as new!
--
Brian

Brian Sharrock wrote:

Many thanks for that. I'll take a look after the weekend.
Dave

Make sure you "look" at the correct model ;
'Vax' has a bewildering range of models; all with only minor variations on the naming;- Rapde; Rapide Super; Rapide XL etc. etc. But there are a large number of variations in the 'fit'; some require the cleaning solution to be pre-mixed; some have only one brush-bar
The model we bought has a pair of contra-rotating brush bars - each bar has two spiral brushes which screw the brushes into the middle >>>>><<<<< (sort of] where the suction is effective. It also has three tanks- one for cleaning solution; one for clean water [it mixes the appropriate solution] and a large capacity 'dirty-water' collection tank.
I can't claim for the efficacy of the other variants - I know some have only one brushbar. We couldn't find the model in the sheds so eventually purchased it -sight unseen- from QVC.
Actually, we saw it on QVC; decided we'd like to see one and trogged off around the sheds: but none of the usual suspect stocked that high end model.
It wasn't cheap; but compared to the value of the carpets in the house I 'gambled' on the stair-carpet (particularly) lasting another year. -IMHO it'll now outlast me!
--

Brian

Brian Sharrock wrote:

Thanks for that Brian. I will go out to the shops and take a look mid week. Your post is now being printed.
Dave
The Medway Handyman wrote:

What I meant by this post is that both soil extraction cleaning & the addition of a power brush - which is what the Rug Doctor does - should have raised the pile. Wool is a naturally resillient material, which is much better than synthetics when it comes to shape retention.
If the Rug Doctor with its power brush didn't raise the pile I'm at a bit of a loss - after being into carpet cleaning for 30+ years.
I can only think that previous cleaning has left a residue or that there is still heavy soiling in the pile. If I were still cleaning carpet I would go over it again with an acidic fibre & fabric rinse.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'll try that. Thanks
Dave+
"Dave" wrote:

I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean that the Rug Doctor machine cleaned the carpet but didn't raise the pile to its original state therefore you are looking for a machine that will do both?

Hoovering might,once its completely dried.