Carpet shampoo

Having used one of Homebase's Rug Doctors and been very impressed with the cleansing of the carpet. Is there any way I can raise the pile of a wool carpet to its original state?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It does depend on the type of weave, but in general if the Rug Doctor power brush didn't do the job nothing will. Only suggestion I can offer is to do it again - no guarantee it will work.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean that the Rug Doctor machine cleaned the carpet but didn't raise the pile to its original state therefore you are looking for a machine that will do both?

Reply to
DIY

Hoovering might,once its completely dried.

Reply to
George

I went over it 3 times.

To you and other posters to this question, the carpet was laid about 10 years ago and is quite an expensive Axminster carpet. Over the years the pile has gone a bit like a woolen sweater that has been washed the wrong. It has gone flat.

I am not looking for a machine that will bring the pile back vertical, but a method that I can use.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It doesn't quite answer your question, because it specifies a machine; - but, the Carpet Cleaner (shampooer) Vax Rapide XL does precisely that. The machine which shampoo's the carpet and vacuums the solution off, then permits rinsing with clean water -and sucking that off leaves the carpet clean, dry and with the pile upright!

It achieves this by having two contra-rotating powered roller brush-bars. The two bars have the effect of 'up-righting' the carpet.

We've tried it on a stair carpet -about six years old- the carpet had been definitely flattened over the years. After the machine had done its bit, the pile was as new!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Many thanks for that. I'll take a look after the weekend.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Make sure you "look" at the correct model ;

'Vax' has a bewildering range of models; all with only minor variations on the naming;- Rapde; Rapide Super; Rapide XL etc. etc. But there are a large number of variations in the 'fit'; some require the cleaning solution to be pre-mixed; some have only one brush-bar

The model we bought has a pair of contra-rotating brush bars - each bar has two spiral brushes which screw the brushes into the middle >>>>>

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Thanks for that Brian. I will go out to the shops and take a look mid week. Your post is now being printed.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What I meant by this post is that both soil extraction cleaning & the addition of a power brush - which is what the Rug Doctor does - should have raised the pile. Wool is a naturally resillient material, which is much better than synthetics when it comes to shape retention.

If the Rug Doctor with its power brush didn't raise the pile I'm at a bit of a loss - after being into carpet cleaning for 30+ years.

I can only think that previous cleaning has left a residue or that there is still heavy soiling in the pile. If I were still cleaning carpet I would go over it again with an acidic fibre & fabric rinse.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'll try that. Thanks

Dave+