Carpet repair

Our youngest boy yesterday put a burn mark (about 1.5x 4 inchs) onto our new bedroom carpet. I have a offcut still to hand. Is it possible to fix this. Thanks for any help. Mike

Reply to
Mike

Can you not claim on your insurance as accidental damage. I think to DIY a patch in a carpet would be very difficult to make invisible and if in a 'traffic area' it would soon show itself due to edge lift etc. What is the burn mark from, iron, coal, blowtorch???

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Insurance job?

I have seen a kind of cookie cutter designed for carpet repairs. Concept being you cut a circular hole around the burn and a corresponding hole from an offcut & use copydex or similar to glue the patch in.

Can't find much info on Google apart from this

guess an old fashioned carpet fitter might have one.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mike expressed precisely :

If your spare section can be cut to perfectly match the lay of the pile and pattern, then yes it can be repaired. Cut a piece out of the spare section which will match and overlap the damaged section, lay it over the damaged area and cut the damaged area out by following the edge of the new piece with a Stanley knife. Find some strong fabric like an old pair of denim jeans and cut a piece large enough to provide a good overlap around the hole, push it in then get it flat and even around the edges. Now squirt some Copydex over the entire surface of the denim and insert the patch into the hole, pressing hard to get it well stuck.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks for the answers, I don't think the insurance will cover it, I might have a go at a fix, it can't make it any worse. There is no pattern to worry about just getting the pile laying right. It was a hair drier that did the damage.

Mike

Reply to
Mike