Car water hoses

Terry In Newfoundland Canada
1956 Ford Consul*^ New 1958 Ford Zephyr*^ New Also assigned a 1957 Land Rover for a period. New 1962 VW Bug* Used 1967 VW Bug* Used 1973 Plymouth Fury, used to over-heat towing caravan! 1976 Chev Impala (Caravan/trailer towing) Company vehicle. New 1976 Chev Bel Air ( " " " ) Ex Hertz rental 1978 VW Rabbit/Golf Diesel+ Slightly used. 1981 Toyota Diesel+ Used 1986 Toyota pickup+ Used 1991 Nissan pickup+ Well used (fourth owners, best vehicle we ever owned). See note.. 1995 Nissan pickup+ Used but only 30,000 when bought. 2002 Nissan pickup+ Self now retired and only 80,000 kms since new in 2002.
Legend: * On dirt and paved roads. ^ For professional business/occupation. + For small private family business
Note; 1991 well used Nissan pickup finally rusted out in 1996 at some nearly 300,000 kms. We estimated that the capital 'cost of that vehicle, including a repaint job and new tyres etc. when we first acquired and then used for over some 4.5 years was $80 (Can.) about 50 to 60 quid, per month. Apart from the VWs it was one of the simplest vehicles and was utterly reliable until it's cab floor in these salty and corrosive conditions rusted out at nearly 300,000 kms. Similarly one of the VWs was replaced when wife complained she could see the road in several places as she drove along! Sold that one afterwards to the young feller who is now our provincial government member, who turned it into a 'dune buggy'! Found it years later still somewhat intact dumped in an old quarry. Knew it was ours because had replaced the wiper switch stalk with a toggle in the dash!
On 06/07/2010 00:25, brass monkey wrote:

Mini Cooper (1980 to 1983) Commer camper (1983) 3 Austin Minis (1984 to 1989) Saab 99 (1990) Citroen Visa (1991) 3 VW Scirrocos (1991 to 2004) Citroen AX (1993 to 1995) VW Golf mk3 (2004 to 2006) Seat Leon (2006 to 2008) VW Golf mk2 (2008) Mazda 3 (2009 to current)
brass monkey wrote:

3 in 32 yrs '78-83 Renault 5 (new) '94-97 Mazda MX5 ('92) '98-* Renault Twingo ('94) [* got me to Italy and back in May (75% of its annual mileage so I will keep it until at least until the next MOT in January]
--
djc

On 06/07/2010 00:25, brass monkey wrote:

6 in 23 years.
VW Derby (1987, 10yr old) - ex driving school car, dual foot controls, booted version of Polo, 'stand on to stop' hydraulic brakes, stank of perfume from previous owner.
Vauxhall Cavalier MK2 1.6 GL saloon (1990, 3yr old) - 'tap to stop' servo brakes, bought overclocked, engine eventually rebuilt with larger piston rings after unceremoniously coughing out all fluids. Various attempts at theft.
Fiat Punto (1996, new) - Engine bay looked like inside of a washing machine. Excessive roll at corners.
VW Golf MkII Driver (1998, 13yr old) - Sister's old car she got in 1987. White abd looked like a GTI but standard engine. Nice road holder but everywhere I went was followed by an illegal cloud of white smoke. Sold to the nice next door neighbour's brother, who rebuilt it. It's still running and looking back I should have kept it.
Renault Laguna 2.0L Hatchback (1999, 1yr old) - Everything powered except aircon broke, and was found expensive to fix. Fast and stupid drinker of fuel when loaded. Also experienced summer periods of having to drive with heating full blast to cool the engine (Fan thermostat broke).
Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Estate (2009, 5yr old) - No problems so far. First diesel and automatic. Takes weight and cruises at speed without complaint. It's really my updated Golf :-)
Living in London with its public transport system, I don't do many miles a year. 7000/year is rarely reached.
--
Adrian C

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 19:31:03 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

Was the performance a load of pants?
On 06/07/2010 20:28, Jules Richardson wrote:

It was a 'company car' from a firm owned by Indians. To uphold some sort of corporate image, they ordered five of these in a garish metalic yellow/gold and gave them as bonus encoragement to staff. I didn't really get to thrash it on the spin cycle of long runs. Knickers....
--
Adrian C

Adrian C wrote:

I found the Punto was the very best small car to be had, for me, performance wise, even better than a polo.
Don't ever touch a Yaris. noisy, gutless, handled like a drunken dutchman..worst car we tried.
Polos were nice but a little too expensive. Corsas were plain dull.
Tried something else as well, but the Punto was a care I really liked, if you had to have a cheap economical car.
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 00:25:55 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

Oddly enough although I've not had a water hose go, one of the turbo hoses on my Focus TDCI went a few weeks ago. It's just a simple albow, with different sized ends and held with two clips similar to jubilees - will Ford sell me the elbow ... only as a unit with a metal pipe attached and a sensor in the metal pipe. There is no part number for the rubber hose alone! So for now, it's had a rubber bandage attached and a couple of jubilee clips over the top, 'til I get an aftermarket hose.
As to cars:
Parents' Lada Parents' Fiat 131 Parents' Taunus MkV Yugo 45 (emergency buy when starting work!) Sierra 1.8GL Rover 420 Company Astra 1.6 Company Alfa-Romeo 146 Rover 416SI Primera SE 2.2 TDCI Focus 1.8 Sport TDCI Wife's Almera 1.4Si Kit-car: Robin-Hood Series III
SteveW

10 in 48 years plus a few company cars in between. First was a 1936 Austin 10 (Cambridge) and current is a 1999 Peugeot 406.
Worst hose was the short one connecting the head and block on BMC A type engines (A30/35, Morris 1000, Mini etc.). It fitted on tubes projecting from head and block with only a half inch gap between the tube ends. You could get very flexible after market hoses that were supposed to be fittable without removing the head but I could never get the buggers to go on.
--
Tinkerer

Tinkerer wrote:

I did after 4 hours.
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 11:43:50 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I remember those. Absolute sod. I worked in a garage/filling station and I've lost count of the number of those I did after hours. I used the flexible ones though.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

It was possible to get the pukka ones to go on in a couple of minutes if you softened it with hot water and fitted it quickly.
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 23:01:02 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

No hot water available, just a corner of the forecourt!
My party piece was fast tyre changing on Minis...not rad hoses.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Agreed, but you needed asbestos fingers. Not allowed now!
Tinkerer wrote:

I have "fond" memories of that little steward!

Now, now, it wasn't that bad, when we were young
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

It bl**dy well was! :)
Clot wrote:

It was worse.

The improvement in materials and design has been extraordinary. I remember cracked flexible brake hoses and corroded rigid brake pipes at 3 years old. Exhausts and batteries that didn't last. Used to spend evenings and weekends working on cars only a few years old. Cars that corroded through in a little over 3 years.
After nothing but trouble with a Focus and associated Ford dealer our last 3 cars have been Mazdas. Only thing to keep me entertained has been topping up the washer bottles and replacing the occasional windscreen wiper. Nearly forgot - several punctures and the need to add air to the tyres as the temperature falls each autumn.
Invisible Man wrote:

I haven't had a puncture in YEARS.
But I agree with you.
Cras post war were things rich middle class blokes had, in their garages, that got properly serviced every 6 montsh/3000 miles, decoked every 15,000 miles, and re bearinged every 30,000 miles, and te drims skimmed at 60m000 miles, if they got that far, because they were only taken out at weekends.
Then us impoverished students came along, and started beating the crap out of them visiting our friends..doing 20,000 miles in a year (thats 6 services!!) leaving em parked in et streets and driving them (gasp!") in e rain and the snow..which was now treated with salt.
The last time I had a BL car, I was commuting 140 miles aday..and I was under it every month. Brakes, suspension bushes, bearings..you name it, it needed servicing.
Then I saved up and got an Opel Manta. what joy! 10,000 mile service intervals, electronic ignition, no points. Fuel injection. No carbs. power steering and brakes. Cat exhaust that didn't go.Engine good for 120,000 miles with maybe just a cam belt change (or did it have a chain?)
I had joined the modern age!