Car paint peeling

Is there some kind of film covering I can buy to patch over a panel of my car (actually the bonnet) from which the original paint has all peeled away? The metal's all right, it just looks horrible.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Big Les Wade coughed up some electrons that declared:

Fablon et al from Homebase?

It's not hard to do a quick spray:

1) Remove loose paint;

2) "sand" with fine grade wet n dry (emery type, super fine, black, perhaps

600 grit?)

3) Repeat, but with a bucket of water, bar of soap and 1000 or more grit give or take. Soap the paper then sand gently in a circular motion.

4) Wash, clean and dry.

5) Mask the windows and anything where overspray would look bad. Don't mask the area to be painted - try to feather the spray - ie spray the metal and let the overspray smooth into the rest of the good paint.

6) Spray on primer from Halford can

7) Spray on undercoat

7a) Optional for best finish, get the wet and dry out and go over with water and soap to blend in.

8) Spray on correct colour from can.

8a) Optional - T-Cut after a week or two for the ultimate blend in.

You can do that in a day with plenty of breaks while the coats dry.

Cut out half the steps (involving wet n dry) for a rough job, but that will still look better than a bit of film.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Is it just the clear topcoat that's coming off? You can buy aerosols of it in Halfords. But won't get an invisible repair.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your local ChavMotors'R'Us will have a selection of decals. You might have to adjust the fit if you don't drive a Cortina.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Is it a Saluki Bronze Ford Corsair?

Reply to
John

Can't somehow seeing a chav driving a Cortina. Seen how much one costs these days?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most drive Vauxhall Asbo's round here.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

John posted

No, it's a Toyota Previa. Apparently it's a known problem.

Thanks for all replies. I might try just spraying over. All I want is just to make it look less crap at minimal effort.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

How old? How long have you owned it?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It's only 13 years old. You just can't buy anything to last these days.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Big Les Wade saying something like:

I know. My ShiteOldJapCar is a mere 20 and the lacquer's lifting from the tops of the wings. Crap, I tell you.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon