Car body filler

The cheapest 2 part filler seems to be Toolstation Pro-fill, whereas Prices for basically the same stuff at auto outlets seem to have gone through the roof. It's actually quite a sticky formulation, suggesting that it's more resin than aggregate. A bit gloopy in use but should be relatively tough. Can't envisage not having a 2 part filler of some kind in the toolbox.

Reply to
stuart noble

Plastic Padding & Chemical Metal aren't too bad. Depends how much you need.

Just watch the tinned 2 part fillers, the lids often fit "right from the factory, never thereafter" so they go off relatively quickly.

Small auto tubes can be quite good for general use. There seems to have been a distinct lack of joinery skills in this country with some pretty horrible attempts solved by capacious filling... or in the case of a door frame easier to rip the entire thing out it was simply so bad with stucco finished filler of *tin sized* quantities *per hole* :-)

Ebay had a lot of out of date hardener on it last summer, beware oddly cheap stuff.

Reply to
js.b1

Those deep set lids are a pain, presumably designed to incorporate the hardener, and possibly supply you with a mixing receptacle.

I never seem to use all the supplied hardener, so I have plenty of spares. Why some are the same colour as the resin beats me.

Reply to
stuart noble

UPOL Fantastic is the way to go these days,

It is a multifunction body filler that can be used for deep filling or finishing. Excellent spreadability and super easy sanding properties. Adheres directly to a variety of substrates including galvanized and some plastics. Uses latest resin technology for a pinhole free very easy sanding product even after

24 hours.
Reply to
stephen.hull