Car Battery Charger

Many thanks for all the replies :-)

I went for:

which seems to be "intelligent" so hopefully will do the trick.

I live in a village where the bus calls once a week so would be concerned about not having transport but could probably live with a smaller car now, I will have to think that through.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

I have a ‘smart’ charger, one of the Aldi copies of a famous brand.

It is great for charging if you are there to start it etc but, if for example, you left it connected and there was a power cut, it doesn’t resume.

I also have a ‘semi smart’ one. That is better for leaving to keep a battery on float, as it will resume if there is a power cut.

Reply to
Brian

I’m not sure the 10A is really necessary for your requirements, but the ‘intelligent’ functions certainly are. Nonetheless the charger you chose will look after your battery and probably extend its life. If it saves one battery, it will have been worth it!

DAMHIKTIJD :-(

Reply to
Spike

Our MH has a 12V ‘control box’ which, as the name suggests, controls the

12v system - mainly of the ‘habitation’ side. That said, it is contacted to the Vehicle ( starter) battery. This is for two main reasons. When the engine is running, to charge the habitation battery. When the engine isn’t running - especially for long periods- so the Vehicle battery can be charged from any available source ( mains hook up / charger, Solar ).

The current supplied to the Vehicle battery in the latter situation is limited to about 2A.

Our MH vehicle battery remains charged - including during lockdown- on the drive with our MH on hook up. The 2A is enough to compensate for the alarm, tracker, and normal self discharge.

Not all MHs are configured in this way - at least not exactly- but it is quite common. The control box is not unique to our model or make.

Before anyone mentions powering 3 way fridges while driving, these now tend to be run from the Leisure Battery with a circuit controlled by the ignition. The outcome is much the same as the old method of using the vehicle battery.

Reply to
Brian

If the battery is totally flat, there's a risk the "intelligent" charger won't touch it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It specifically warns about disconnecting the 12V battery if the vehicle is going to be left unused for very long periods, as it may discharge the traction battery by repeated repeatedly recharging the 12V battery. Unlikely except for very long periods and with the traction battery fairly low to start with.

Reply to
SteveW

Yes. However, connecting the intelligent charger, then either connecting a dump charger or another battery in parallel for a few seconds fools the smart charger. It's the only thing I have used my old, dumb charger for in years - using it to charge is just too prone to forgetting it is on, going to bed or to work and cooking a battery.

Reply to
SteveW