Capping a Chimney Stack

I have a chimney stack which I wish to reduce in height and then to cap permanently. I do not want to reduce it below roof level if I can avoid it, for dull but sound reasons. What have people used succesfully to weatherproof the top of the reduced stack - in this case, around 34" x

18"? A paving slab with a drip groove round it might be possible, but no fun to get up there.

Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Kevin Poole

Roofing slates with mortar on top is another alternative, although not as good as the paving slab, given that the mortar does deteriorate over time.

The mortar is only there for weight, and you'll need a few decent sized bucketfulls

Reply to
Phil L

Include ventilation.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

is planning permission or building regulations involved in removing chimneys?

can it be done DIY with a scaffold tower?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)