Capacitor sizes

I wonder how responsive it is to transitions? I think you are right though, most modern cars never seem to really load their batteries on starting.

Doesn't always apply to diesels though... many a time I've heard a diesel van start up after barely turning over.

Reply to
Nick2

About 5Kw...and guess what, enough hydrogen coming off the plates..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We bought a second hand diesel, and tha battery was duff..I had to jump it. Even at 10v it would not 'catch' - gloplugs too cold probably. I had to fire up the 'donor' vehicle to get the volts up enough for it to fire, and the bloody thing ran a bit rough for half a minute till the volts came up on the battery. I had a meter on and that was about 10.5 volts that DIDN'T start it.

Strangely enough I had traded it for a jaguar with also a dead battery.

That fared even worse. Half the electronics didn't work properly even with the engine running (finally) and I drove it to the garage with the ABS and power brakes warning lights on, and the bloody windows wouldn't stay closed till I got there and rebooted them..

Its not a question of the starter motor these days as much as the likelihood that half the computers in the thing are designed for some voltage above 10v at least.

Old cars are a lot more tolerant.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a Lascar LCD digital, so I'd guess pretty quick.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I quite agree. Did you miss my final paragraph which said "there's no such thing as DC really, unless you've been hanging around since before the big bang?"

OTOH I'm sure that you would accept that for everyday purposes in the present context it's acceptable to talk about a (slowly) changing DC voltage. Keep the Laplace and Fourier transforms for when you actually need them.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Agreed. But equally you can't then talk about "capacitors as simple open circuits"

Reply to
dingbat

I didn't. This started with Pet @

saying

I wasn't trying to agree with that so much as to point out that it's somewhat irrelevant when the voltage is changing.

Reply to
Andy Wade