Capacitive touch screen stylus

a bit clunky, and what I really need is a fine tip stylus to draw on my Samnsung Galaxy S3.

I have a cheap stylus but the end is broad and spongy - good for tapping virtual keys but not for drawing fine lines or for writing freehand.

So what is a firm conductive material which can hold a point but not scratch glass?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

You might not wish to spend out anything for a stylus, but you can buy "sharp" stylus refills such as this:

polygonum

Conductive rubber?

How to make your own at

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Conductive rubber?

How to make your own at

:-) Looks like loads of fun, as long as you can cast or fabricate a sharp point.

Now wondering if fitting a screen protector would allow you to draw using a key or similar blunt metal object.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

The 3 multi-pens linked through to all have blob ends.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Does this mean you cannot use touch screens while wearing gloves then? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Capacitive touch screens, yes. iThingies etc have capacitive touch screens.

This prompted me to play with the touch screen on my Tab 2. The metal ca= p of a propelling pencil is ignored. A 2" No 8 woodscrew works but only if= I'm holding it directly, insulate me from the screw with a bit of paper =

and it doesn't.

I also have an iPAQ with pressure/resistive touch screen that'll work with anything, finger, gloves, stylus. The iPAQ stylus won't operate the= Tab 2's touch screen.

As for the OP, presumably the Samsung Note range of tablets have a capacitive touch screen. How about a spare stylus from one of them. Migh= t not like the price though at around =A315.00 each.

Screen damage is probably more of an issue with a stylus, fingers are very soft and very sensitive to bits of dirt.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sorry - my mistake. Yes - I too have an ultra-cheap blob-ended one and know what you mean. (Actually, I have three identical.)

Reply to
polygonum

film anti-static bag.

Fine tips don't work very well, you need something approximating a finger end.

Reply to
Andy Burns

polygonum

You can buy gloves with conductive thread in them so that you can wear gloves while using capacitive touch devices.

Reply to
dennis

I've made my own from conductive foam from Maplin. It's firmer than rubber, and glides more easily. However, from much experimenting it needs a minimum area in contact with the screen to work. The smallest I've managed is about 5x5 mm.

You have to rely on the software to interpret the broad contact area and draw a thin line at the centre. Not much good for accurate work. I don't think theres a way round it with current screens.

Reply to
Simon Cee

Thanks - useful info :-)

Reply to