Can you tell me if this type of fireplace is suitable for solid fuel?

I've bought a fireplace off Ebay similar to the one in this link

plan to fit it myself. I only want it for decorative purposes but I'm interested to know if it's possible to actually use it for solid fuel which may be beneficial when I come to sell the house. The reason why it may not be suitable is that the actual insert sits

7.5cm proud of the wall so to 'seal' it and prevent smoke escaping I'd have to lay a line of bricks around the fireplace opening and then fit the insert against that. Or am I missing something?
Reply to
jgkgolf

it says:

HEARTH: 54" BASALT BLACK TILED FOR SOLID FUEL

So I presume if you fit the hearth it will be suitable for solid fuel.

presumably it does have a flue. Some decorative gas powerd fire just vent into the room (or used to nyway).

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Thanks, but that's not answering my question about how you fill the 3 inch gap where the insert sits proud of the wall!

Reply to
jgkgolf

How do you mean, sits proud ? Surely the mantel piece and surround fit flush against the wall - you can see the screw holes in the photo. You may need to remove plaster to fit it properly. Are you saying it wont push back all the way - in which case is the recess deep enough for the fire ? A photo would be useful to visualise the problem. SImon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It says decorative coals and gas fire. Without looking at it I doubt if anyone qualified will say yes.

Reply to
dennis

Sorry, maybe I should have explained better.. Yes the mantlepiece and surround fit flush against the wall but my understanding is that they are in effect for decorative purposes only, ie they don't assist in making sure the smoke doesn't escape into the room, in the same way that a wooden surround is for decorative purposes only. The insert contains the fire and how that is fitted against the chimney breast ensures the smoke goes up the chimney and not around the room. In these fireplaces there is a rebate in the surround which means that for the insert to fit neatly behind it, the surround has to be pulled forward from the wall by 3 inches. Other than sealing that 3 inch gap with bricks or something else I don't see how you can stop smoke escaping around the room?

Reply to
jgkgolf