Can electricity conduct through a fine spray of water?

I'm guessing the connector's connections are quite a bit inset and the water doesn't flow into them.

Never known of that happening, despite the bullshit on them about test weekly. Seriously? Turn all the power off in your house every week? I'm guessing only OCD folk actually do it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm guessing the connector's connections are quite a bit inset and the water doesn't flow into them.

Never known of that happening, despite the bullshit on them about test weekly. Seriously? Turn all the power off in your house every week? I'm guessing only OCD folk actually do it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I think it's about 1/8"**, but I'll try to remember to look next time I'm outside.

**No one knows what that is in meters.

Your experience and knowledge are not enough data for me, to make a decions.

Huh? I don't do that.

What does that have to do with me?

Six months after I moved in (4-year old house) the breaker used to trip fairly often. I didn't know why or how they worked but eventually I thought the breaker might be broken. I replaced it and it stopped tripping. So if it can break so that it trips too much, maybe it can break so it doesn't trip enough. And it's really no effort to pick up the cord away from the end, versus the thought of being electrecuted standing on even slightly damp grass.

Reply to
micky

Try this:

Two close parallel plates with some modest DC voltage between them, and coupled into an audio amp and a speaker or headphones.

Spray some water or steam and listen, or use fog if you have it.

e-fields in a bees or ants nest would be cool too.

We live in a world of electric fields that we can't sense.

Reply to
John Larkin

Not sure what you mean. Do you hear things it picks up from outside it, or do you hear the fog drifting?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I would imagine charged droplets impacting the electrodes and making sounds. Shine a UV flashlight into the fog too maybe. Sort of the audible version of the Millikan Oil Drop Experiment.

Ambient magnetic fields can sound cool too.

Reply to
John Larkin

You ought to be a Physics lecturer, and come up with all sorts of fascinating experiments to teach the students concepts more easily.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Everyone in the UK can accurately tell if something is 50Hz, and also 100Hz. I guess in the good old-fashioned USA, that's 60 and 120.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Give a man 2.54 centimetres and he'll take 1.6 kilometres.

My neighbour (a tradesman) says "mills" to mean millimetres. We're in the UK. Although he's older than me, he didn't realise that means a thousandth of an inch. He meant millimetres. He pointed out a thousandth of an inch is a thou, and when I looked it up, it appears mill is an American thing. You do realise mill is the first part of the word million?

Isn't a decion some kind of field? (Might be Scifi)

Not just my experience, never heard of it on the news either. Have you?

They tell you to in smallprint on the front of them.

I never said it did.

Most likely the health and softy brigade requires they always fail safe. Many devices are designed as such. I have read of electricians calling them "becoming trigger happy", it apparently happens if you run them around full load a lot.

What you could have done is replace the breaker with a fuse. Or you can buy less sensitive breakers.

I can't remember what this is referring to.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I just spilt some water on the side of my stereo while watering a plant, and some got into the vent, and I heard what sounded like a deep thunder roll outside, except it was through the speakers. It seems Panasonics are better made than Sansuis, when I spilt some in the top of one of those, it caught fire! Burning water, damn clever those Chi/Japanese.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey