Does expanding foam conduct electricity before it dries?

Does expanding foam conduct electricity before it dries? Would it be safe for it to come into contact with live electrical wires before it sets?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Give it a try!

Reply to
jon

I will test it with a safer circuit first, but I wanted to know before I spent money on some.

It's amazing, a google search shows everyone talking about heat insulation and wires may get too hoot, or the PVC could corrode, but nobody once mentions electrical conductivity. Spray it around a socket, some gets inside, whoops!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I googled your question:

invalid unparseable

I googled your question:

invalid unparseable

That doesn't mention if it conducts electricity as you spray it. The solvent could be conductive.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

With alcohols and isocyanates it probably is.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The only thing I've read is acetone can be used to dissolve it when you want rid of it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I am probably wrong as I read conductivity requires free ions. I was thinking that the polar compounds might be conductive.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I've ordered a can, I'll let you know....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The solvent and other chemicals are almost certainly covalently bonded. Therefore almost certainly non-conductive.

Reply to
Brian

The solvent and other chemicals are almost certainly covalently bonded. Therefore almost certainly non-conductive.

Reply to
Brian

I was wondering because paint seems to have gone all water based to please the treehuggers so I though there might be water in this too.

Also I've read humidity cures the foam faster, so water reacts with it in some way.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Can't speak for ALL foams but I used some to seal around outlet boxes on external walls of an in-adequately insulated house and he foam sparked and sparkled as it dried/set a little daster than normal. It didn't pop the breaker and it didn't start a fire, but I as more than a little bit concerned!!!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The stuff I used tat was conductive before setting was white, not yellow - can't remember the brand but it came in a can with a yellow top and it was not "great stuff". It was "low expanding gap filling" foam

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Considering you're holding the steel can.....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Wiki gives chemistry:

A little water in the polyol will generate carbon dioxide as the foaming agent and cured resin is polyurethane-polyurea.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

use a megger

Reply to
jon

Not after it has cured.

Reply to
alan_m

Depends on the foam. How flammable is what you have. It certainly melts and gives of nasty fumes. I'd not say its conductive, but of course could easily get damp in it, Some have fungicide additives,. I think keeping a freeflow of air wherever the electrics are is good and after all you might want to get at it later on without digging foam out of the little nooks and crannies. Tell you what it seems to go on expanding after you might think its dry. We had some windows replaced and the used it and plastered over the top, about 4 months later the foam pushed off a chunk of te plaster, with a big bubble. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff