Can a windowboard restrict the flow of heat from a radiator?

One of our bedrooms seems to be colder than the others for which there are probably numerous reasons. One that I think may be a factor is the positioning of the radiator. It is placed under the window and the top of the radiator is about 3cm under the window board. The window board also extends out as far as the outside edge of the radiator.

I'm wondering if the radiator was further off the wall (or the windowboard didn't extend out so far) would the heat circulate better?

Any thoughts?

Reply to
johnboy

there are many things that could affect it..

levels of insulation N,S,E or W unbalanced heating size of radiator length of curtains...

unless the window board significantly narrows the gap at the top of the radiator it is likely to make the circulation better by pushing the rising air away from the wall.

You need to check that the radiator actually gets as hot as it should (does it have a TVR on it?) and check for draughts and stuff first.

Reply to
dennis

Can you drop the radiator so there's a bigger gap at the top - 3cm will be reducing convection.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

This may be a long shot, but I renovated some tongue and groove window board in a bay bedroom window, and found that room vents had been created by routing the tongue away in a couple of places. I thought they were splits at first before I cleaned it all up. For now I've hidden the vents and removed the draft. Perhaps your window board may also conceal vents?

Spamlet