Cable Tone Tracer

I know that there are Tone Tracer test units that allow an RJ45 plug 'tone injector' to be plugged into faceplates, and then at comms room you have what is best described as pen detector .... You can pass it over a bundle of CAT5 cables to identify the correct cable - without terminating or stripping back to the cores. i.e. continuity testing without metallic access. such as:

't really want to buy one as they expensive ... but it would be useful as I have a large number of cables to identify, save hours of fun with a Ohmmeter & Stanley knife.

Anybody come up with a diy solution for one of these.

Reply to
Osprey

For something a bit cheaper you could try

(goes to ebay) or this
(ebay again). Other than that, try a surplus store or a (ham) radio rally for ex-BT equipment.

JellyBelly

Reply to
JellyBelly

theyre esy to make if you can do basic electronics.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Er... I think he probably knows that but was, perhaps, looking for instructions or some sort of help with making one :o)

JB

Reply to
JellyBelly

I didnt see anything indicating wilingness to make one. I assumed OP was looking for another way to do it, but either might be correct. Which is why i begged the question.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

probably are if you have a cct diag, but I don't

Reply to
Osprey

I would be happy to make one if someone has such a circuit. Assume I would need a High Frequency transmitter, 300Khz they seem to work at .. and a separate induction pick up, which could possibly be a tuned aerial, a circuit to convert this signal to an audible one, and amp to drive a speaker. Now if someone happens to have such a circuit - I'd give it a go .... veroboard & components no problem, but don't want to get into PCB drafting & etching.

Reply to
Osprey

Occasionally, I have seen them at computer fairs, second hand. I picked up a PTS100 for £10 that way about 10 years ago, and it's been invaluable for various bits of data/voice cabling I've done (and just occasionally on mains cables too, when not connected to the mains;-).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't really want to buy one as they expensive ... but it would be

Not really... at least not a non contact version.

The one I use is:

well enough, and as you say it can save hours. Especially wwhen you are working on kit that was installed badly in the first place with nothing labled!

Reply to
John Rumm

Have a look to see what CPC have. Fairly sure they have one or three cheaper than that (but not a lot).

=A354.64 inc VAT still to much?

Dave Liquorice

Look up a 555 timer IC oscillator circuit. From memory they will easily run up to 300Khz, then just connect your cable to the 555's output. Trace it with a small radio tuned to 300khz.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield presented the following explanation :

upto 100KhZ, sorry.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield