CFLs with warm tone?

I have been replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs as they burn out. Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation for a CFL with a nice warm tone. I am aware of the color temperature rating and look for it - not all bulbs have it on their packaging - and always get the "soft white" kind. However, I find that particularly in the higher wattages (the ones that emulate a 100W incandescent) the CFLs still have a "cooler" hue than the incandescents they replaced. For lamps I'd rather have a warmer hue. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

just a very crazy idea, but I wonder if you couldn't spray paint a CFL bulb with a cream colored paint to get it to give off that warm, golden glow of an incandescent bulb? I have 'painted' CFL bulbs that were too bright for a night light type application. Just spinin' my wheels here.... paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

You could, but it probably would not be very bright and they would run hotter. Mine burn out at about the same rate as incandescent bulbs do, I would not want to shorten their life even more (last ten times longer my arse, haha. Seven year warranty? Whatta joke...).

Reply to
Zoot

Consumer Reports and Popular Mechanics did comparison tests, I use HDs Invision soft whites they are the cheapest and similar to incandesant in color, PM rated them best in color, CR rated them for life run which is ongoing. I pay 1$ for a 9w cfl at HD. Here my utility co subsidises the 9 and 14w at this time of year.

Reply to
ransley

Try looking for "warm white" for something a bit closer to incandescent.

3200K is nominal incandescent color temp, and the higher the number the cooler/whiter/bluer the light becomes. Also note that the human eye does auto white balance and as long as all the lights in a room are the same color temperature your eyes will adjust nicely. It is the differences in color temperature of adjacent light sources that you really notice.
Reply to
Pete C.

A transparent spray paint or theatrical filter of the right tint would work, but it's an inefficient solution as a lot of light from the lamp has to be absorbed to change the color. Keep looking for "warm" CFLs. I've found that they do vary by manufacturer.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

Past about 19 or 23 watts or so, they usually do have a slightly harsher purplish-pinkish tone.

One exception I have found is a Feit 23 watt one - pleasantly incandescentlike and warm in color. It also appears to me slightly on the dim side for a 23 watt spiral.

Now for some general trends, besides wattage:

  1. Ones with nice color and a color temp. rating have a color temp. rating of 2700 K. However, a 2700 K rating does not guarantee incandescent-like color.
  2. My experience is that Sylvania ones are on the pinkish-purplish side.
  3. Look for a less miniaturized size and tubing diameter for the wattage. More-miniaturized sizes in my experience generally have stronger mercury spectral features - and generally a harsher color.

Don Klipstein

Thanks, I picked some Feits and they are a little better than the ones I had (which were N:vision). The N:vision ones will go into the attic or basement or someplace. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff