Torchieres & CFLs

I was perusing (actually interviewing) torchieres (floor lamps) at Lowe's yesterday. All the non-halogen models had tags saying "Required - incandescent bulb(s)" followed by recommended wattage. These lamps had normal screw-in bulb sockets, and most did not have dimmers or 3-way switches. The packaging said nothing about using CFLs. The bulbs face up and there are no shades above the bulbs. Is there some reason I can't use CFLs with these lamps, or is this information just an omission from the labeling?

I asked one of the "experts", who drooled and went to find an invisible manager, who was probably getting a lap dance in his office. Nobody ever returned.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

what is the CFLs

Reply to
Grumpy

Canadian Football League

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:

Because they look like the old torchieres, they are telling you that they don't need the tube type bulbs that set fire to the house when they are close to flammable material. CFLs should work. I have 3 of the tube type and my house is still standing.

Reply to
willshak

The reason CFL's won't work in my torchiere is that the taper near the socket is too tight. It'd interfere with a bulky bottomed CFL.

But that's OK, I refuse to use CFL's in open lighting indoors.

Reply to
mike

Shoks now I am confused for moment I was thinking of C--k foot long

Reply to
Grumpy

Shucks now I am confused for moment I was thinking of C--k foot long

Reply to
Grumpy

What I don't get is why would somebody with such disdain for Lowes even shop there...Or is this just another bash Big Boxes and Chineses stuff thread.....I'm no "expert" but I would have checked the manufacturer's website or called them....I wonder who is doing the drooling ??? LOL.......

Reply to
benick

You raise some interesting points. I have a choice to make for the lamp in this particular room:

1) Buy Chinese product at Lowe's 2) Buy Chinese product at electrical supply place (which I love) for three times the price 3) Buy Chinese product at boutique lighting store for ten times the price
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

benick wrote the following:

I don't 'disdain' Lowes or HD. When I go there, I know what I want, and I don't need any help from 'associates', unless what I need is not on the shelf, but in a new box on the top of the shelves and there is no ladder nearby.

Reply to
willshak

So you know that going in , yet you still found it necessary to belittle some poor slep working for 10 bucks an hour at Lowes....Does it make you feel superior ??? Atleast he/she is WORKING and not collecting welfare....If things get much worse it might be me working at Lowes...LOL...Maybe it's just me , but when I see someone a little less fortunate then me I think , "There but for the grace of God go I." Others seem to find it necessery to put them down to try to raise themselves up....Sad really...JMHO....

Reply to
benick

Yours probably have dimmers too?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

When an employee says he's going to get a manager and never returns, then yes, I belittle him. Mediocrity has nothing to do with how much you're paid.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If the lamp has an on/off switch (with or without a dimmer) that uses something other than discrete contacts, it may not work with CFLs.

Reply to
Bob

I bought a torchiere lamp at HD. It contained a little box in line with the power cord which is supposed to prevent over current ... whatever that means. I understand "over current" however what for? Maybe to prevent putting too large a lamp in the socket. It is a standard screw in socket. I have been using the lamp with a CFL for some time now without problems. It is not a dimable lamp and does not interfere with the socket base. The in line box appears to have some electronic circuits in it. I was tempted to just plain remove it as it is a nuisance as there is an on/off switch on the box which gets bumped accidentally by such things as the vacuum, etc.

Reply to
Art Todesco

That's probably because you don't see the big picture....You weren't the only customer in the store nor were you the most important customer in the store though you might disagree...I'm sure he went to the manager who was already busy with somebody else or he might have been intercepted by another customer on his way to you...Who knows...He may have been on the other side of the store which would take a few to get to where you were...Or maybe like me he thought ..why don't he visit the manufactures website or call them considering even the manager isn't gonna know more about the product than the instructions give which you read....I doubt he would recomend a bulb not listed on the box....Oh , you never mentioned how long you waited...NEVER is a long time????

Reply to
benick

Let's make this easy for you: If I say the employee was wrong, then he was wrong. Your opinion has as much value as a used kleenex in my trash can.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Ahhh...Now your true colors are showing...Maybe the employee did think to himself "what an a-hole and walked away thinking F him....LOL...Thanks for playing though.....LOL...

Reply to
benick