Cable/stud detectors

I currently have a Plasplugs cable and stud detector which is just about useless. Can any experts give advice about what is a good make to buy that is reliable?

tia

Angela

Reply to
A K

uk.d-i-y convention and the magic of Usenet message propagation demand that both I and Andy Hall will pipe up separately and say "you want a Zircon, RS (rswww.com) sell them at top whack, some electrical wholesalers do them for slightly less silly money." So here's mine, and you'll probably catch Andy's in a few moments too ;-)

Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

Propagation seems to be working well today, Stefek. :-)

I have a Zircon Triscanner Pro which I picked up a couple of years ago at a Home Depot for $25 IIRC.

I find that it works very well for both studs and buried cables and pipes as long as you use it as instructed and allow settling time before moving it around.

Specifications are on

and I have found in practice that it does what it says......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sent the Zircon back got this one

Chris Oates

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

nope it ain't but as a metal/cable detector the Metalla is the best I've used yet (for the price) I use it to stop our chaps hanging flourescents from gas pipes or sub mains which it's good at as it's range is much greater than the screws they use.

Silly point - it has a hole in one detector so you can poke a felt pen through but not the other.

Tried the most expensive Zircon on a water pipe 2" behind a Melamine sheet & it wouldn't see it but the Metalla does & also see's a ring main through a 2" thick workbench with the detector 6" away from the bench

Reply to
Chris Oates

I really do not like that web site - they seem to think that passing around the session ID on the querystring is a good idea.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

very irritating - I'd forgotten it did that

Chris Oates

I think you must have had a dud one. Mine certainly does that...... .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

As a general principle, it's helpful to later Googlers, and people using text-only access to newsgroups, and those wondering whether to launch a browser pane to look at something, to put a one-liner description of where these here-today, gone-next-week tinyurl.com things are pointing... Obviously this is not a Rule or even a Convention, just something to bear in mind...

Reply to
stefek.zaba

the tinyurl above does actually work ;)

Reply to
Chris Oates

I noticed that you both carefully avoided telling us where it was pointing to.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Sorry ;) makers web site

Reply to