Cable management things

Can anyone tell me what these are called or where to get them?

Made of slightly flexible plastic, a base with 2 arms that form a sort of circle round the cable, but opposite the base is a gap with a ball on each side. Pull the balls apart and put the cables in, let the balls spring back together. The clips form a circle round the cable that is somewhere around 1 to 2 inches diameter.

Reply to
Bill

Bill :

I think that's just a "cable clip" - I don't think there's any more specific name than that.

That type seems rather old-fashioned to me. Nowadays I'd use a clip with flexible aluminium arms, or plastic with a releasable ratchet lock.

That's quite big.

Perhaps a releasable cable tie through a stick-on or screw-on base?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I remember years ago using metal Terry clips, we used them to hold billiard cues against the wall.

Davey

In message , Mike Barnes writes

My search for cable clips just came up with the standard nail on clips and similar. I was just hoping for some things big and obvious that can be stuck under a bunch of desks to give somewhere to hold random numbers of network cables up and away from the ladies' handbags/feet etc. I remember seeing these things, but can't remember where or when.

I think cable ties, trunking or anything like bendy aluminium would be too fiddly. I'm hoping that the ladies will be able to manage simple office rearrangements themselves.

The fall back option is some sort of ordinary door hook to drape the cables over, but these things would be better, I think, for holding loops to take up slack and so on.

Old-fashioned? Moi? :-)

Reply to
Bill

Bill :

Moi aussi. Under the desks here you'll find lots of SAF clips:

're simple, cheap, and tenacious. There's adhesive inside the hook which helps take up the slack. The large size will take five CAT5 patch leads comfortably, six at a pinch. For more than that, you could use two or more clips in parallel, which you'll find easier to manage than a big bundle.

Mail order from CPC, and elsewhere presumably.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Bill wrote

Alan

Mike Barnes :

Oh, I forgot to say. Organising the wiring under a desk is a doddle if you lie flat on your back instead of crouching. I leave it to you how to suggest that to the ladies.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Search Ebay for twist lock cable clips. It comes up with some suppliers but they only seem to be in the 10 to 17 mm dia. range.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

IA friend spotted some of those in a pound shop not that long ago, but they were smaller than you describe. What is wrong with those releasable normal cable ties, they seem to be more common. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

People, ie ordinary people not sparks, electronics or electrical installers don't realise they are releasable and cut 'em off. Possibly with what ever semi sharp instrument they have to hand damaging the cable...

At least with these "bunny ears" it's fairly obvious that they open and close.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Well, I'm hoping the problem is solved. I was in B&Q looking to buy a scaffolding clamp (hopeless), and happened on packs of 20 stick on closable and probably re-openable cable clips of about an inch diameter.

The things I remember were like "bunny ears", but without the twisty bit at the top, and much bigger. It looks as though they are no longer made.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I have passed on the tip to the lady in charge about lying on your back to work under desks.

Now off to resume my tour of building sites looking for a friendly scaffolder.

Reply to
Bill

I occasionally work in an London office installing IT under desks like these.

are motorised and can be sent upwards so ye can almost stand under.

The company, an energy supplier so intrinsically 'Heath and Safety gone mad', has 300 of 'em!

Reply to
Adrian C

In article , Bill writes

Twist ties eg:

only up to an inch there.

Ah, different range goes up to 40mm dia:

'dy awful info though, click further information to see the full range.

Reply to
fred

You can get re-usable cable ties of the more usual sort. They have a latch release. Beauty is they can be set to grip near any size well. There are various brackets and plates for fixing them to a surface etc too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

my desk. I use two large Ikea desks joined together.

Reply to
Huge