buzzing noise from elec clock

I use a cheapo electric alarm clock/radio, I also have a touch type bedlight. Both require to be plugged into an extension as too far from socket. When both are plugged in the alarm gives a low annoying buzz, but stops if I unplug the lamp. Any ideas on how to stop the buzzing. thanks

Reply to
SS

First try running the lamp via a second extension lead, and if that doesn't help, try moving the lamp about the same distance again away from the radio.

It seems the electronics in the lamp are transmitting interference either along the cable or through free space.

Reply to
John Williamson

Err - unplug the lamp.

HTH -

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It's not unknown for the radio's aerial to be within the mains flex where the earth conductor isn't.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Maybe I should have mentioned I want to keep both plugged in. :-)

Reply to
SS

Is this a lamp with a transformer or switch mode psu in it by any chance?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian it is one of those lamps that you just tap it and it changes the light ouput (3 different levels) so I guess it must have something built in. It doesnt have an on/off switch, just tap it and it goes off or on.

Reply to
SS

Try moving them apart. This will show if it's RF or mains borne interference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Triac controlled by some circuitry which senses the hum induced by your finger when it touches the lamp. The triac can generate RFI when there is no suppression fitted or it is missing. If you radio has poor AM rejection on FM, then that's what's causing your buzzing. Moving them apart, even by a few inches, will help.

Reply to
John Williamson

I have one of those lights right beside my DAB bedside radio. No problem.

Reply to
charles

Finally a good word for DAB!

Seriously I'm not surprised. It must surely be designed to reject a little mains hum.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

It won't be a little mains hum. It could be nastly spikes caused by the dimmer, albeit a mains frequency.

Reply to
charles