Buyring Mains Cables?

My new house wiring is all in this plastic conduit stuff - would someone have done this because it's easier? I just want to know if I'm ok to bury the cables in the plaster. :)

Reply to
Maria

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:25:43 +0100 someone who may be Maria wrote this:-

Yes.

That depends on whether the cables would be run in acceptable zones. If you are in England or Wales you may also like to consider the activities of John Prescott and the Labour Party with regard to box ticking.

Reply to
David Hansen

And of course cheaper. No need to replaster and redecorate.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

If the wiring goes in before the plastering is done it is common to use plastic capping over it to protect it from damage while plastering. So long as the wires are in the allowed zones (i.e. horizontally or vertically inline with visible accessories, or within 150mm of a corner or ceiling) then there is no requirement for mechanical protection.

Reply to
John Rumm

Within certain areas; see:

Bob Eager

or metal capping which is better IMHO

over it to protect it from damage while plastering. So

just a word or 2 of caution:

OP refers to a 'new house' - is the 'plaster' an insulating type of plasterboard or wallboard? If so, then possibly it can't be easily buried (because the cable wouldn't dissipate the heat it generates when carrying a high current - NB overheated cables deteriorate rapidly). That too may be why it has been surface mounted. Alternative might have been thicker cable (more expense) and/or longer runs (ditto).

To see what is permitted the OP neeeds to consult an up to date copy of the IEE regs (BS7671) for installation methods (sketch diagrams in table 4A) and the relevant cable rating tables which follow it: not an easy read unfortunately & all too easily misunderstood. Note the original BS7671 has been much amended in this area to deal with eg insulated wallboards: you can download the amendments free, but not BS7671.

Possible way forward for OP is to investigate nature of her "wall plastering" - if an insulating board, product name, manufacturer and thickness - and post here for more advice.

HTH

Reply to
jim

I get the feeling some folks on this thread are assuming the OP is talking about surface mounted wiring in conduit. This seems very unlikely for a new build.

Reply to
John Rumm

This is perfectly normal and much better than no conduit

Reply to
Denis

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 15:04:57 -0700, Denis mused:

Why's that then?

Reply to
Lurch

I've summarised the updated Table 4D5A ratings for T&E (including thermally insulated wall constructions) previously, see

info is still up-to-date, TTBOMK. For cable in surface conduit, or conduit embedded in ordinary masonry, use reference method 3 in the original Table 4D2A (or 6E1 in the OSG).

It's not at all clear, and "my new house" doesn't necessarily imply new-build.

Reply to
Andy Wade