wiring in my house

HI I have a question about wiring.I had a electrician rewire my house and he had to drill holes in the joists in the basement and feed wire through it.There is ductwork that comes in contact with this wire NMD

90 ? from the furnace.Will it melt the pvc off the wire?? He and another guy said no.Should I be worried??

THanks

Reply to
Dave

If it is rated at 90 deg. C, that would equal 194 F.

I have never seen any wire insulation melt from a heating duct. I have seen it melt from ceiling and wall light fixtures. Also inside of a kitchen range (insulation shrunk even though it was supposed to be high heat wiring).

Reply to
Bill

The wire is designed to be attached to many devices that get a lot hotter then a heating duct, like lighting fixtures and heaters.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Touch the heating duct, does your hand melt. As long as it isnt the exuast it should not get very hot.

Reply to
m Ransley

According to Dave :

Canadian electrical code requires that the wire be "isolated" from contacting heating ducts. This is more likely to be an issue of vibration in the ducting wearing off insulation, rather than having the duct melt the insulation.

While the duct would only get hot enough to melt insulation if something majorly wrong was happening with the furnace, it doesn't hurt to avoid adding "kabooms" to the "melts"... ;-)

Standard (fully approved) practise here is to take a wad of fiberglass bat insulation and just jam it between the wire and the ducting as a "pad".

US code doesn't appear to require it, but it's not a bad idea.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

90 C wire is good to approximately 180 degrees fahrenheit. The answer is no.

-- Tom H

Reply to
HorneTD