Buying pressure washer - what to look for?

My roof is covered in moss, and with the scaffolding around the house for the builders to finish the extension I thought it a good time to give the roof a good clean.

So as subject suggests, I am after a pressure washer and have no idea what to look for. I intend to use it to clean the roof tiles, and once that is done probably use it to clean the two cars - no more than once per month...

What spec.? makes? features? should I look for?

Thanks a lot in advance for any tips.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Karcher,however Aldi thursday 18th have/had on offer a 2kw induction motor,150bar but probably work at 120bar at a price of 79.99GBP. Aldi quoted it was made by Karcher exclusively for power craft tools it works exceptionally well and the design has a liquid detergent bottle integrated into the moulding.

I bought one but have yet to open it up to see what type of pressure head its been cast in?

Argos are doing the same model less the detergent bottle which is probably incorperated onto the pressure lance, at an astonishing 200GBP.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Here's a pic of the Aldi model. Its a lot beefier than the Karcher.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

There is a good FAQ on this:

John Rumm

LOL you must be up north - you couldn't use one in the south..`

Is it a good idea to spray high pressure water on a tiled roof? Won't it be asking for leaks?

Reply to
Paul Andrews

String a piece of bare copper wire across the roof above the moss and sit back and have a beer with the money you`re saving not buying a crap pressure washer. Mark.

Reply to
mark

The only Pressure Washer worth having is powered by at least a 9hp petrol motor and shoves out 12gpm at 3000psi or more!

(strips paint if you are not careful though...) :-/

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

The message from "JoeJoe" contains these words:

Leave it! Looks nice.

Reply to
Guy King

So does 100psi (particularly on the newer water-based car paints apparently).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'd rather have a pressure washer than piss the money down the toilet.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Certa>

Yup - we have the wettest drought since records began.

In practice it's not a problem, you clean from the top down.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just read that again, I think you meant 12 litres a minute, not gallons!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Don't knock it. My roof was thick with moss apart from the area that washed down beneath the copper flashing.

Reply to
dom

You want one of our 'over unity' pressure washers, you do. With an optional extra of a magnetic descaler.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

If you do this, don't let the moss go down the normal guttering. If you're on a soakaway type, and I think most houses are, it will block it. Try a stiff broom first. My moss is im large lumps and comes off quite easily.

John

Reply to
John