Buying a used car :(

In the 'old days' you could get two grades of fail. An ordinary fail meant that it did not pass but you could continue to drive it on the old MoT, but a "red certificate" meant it was too dangerous to drive on the road.

presumably the current system works the same way but with more record keeping.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Interesting. I'd do the tax online now - before the MOT. To be sure to be sure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nah, wait till it fails then try online, and report back :-)

You're three quarters dead?

Reply to
Scion

If yo take it to a Post Office they probably won't do the on-line check.

What we need is a guinea pig - someone who is taking their van for an MOT today for example and is willing to deliberately get it to fail :-)

Reply to
hugh

I would, because the introduction of the system did not change the rules on how MOTs work.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

I think they may do. Had one car taxed at the local (small) PO this year due to the online form not arriving. They didn't even look at the insurance and MOT. So I assume they were checked when they entered the details.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suspect they must do. Had the TVR MOT'd last week and the "MOT certificate" is a plain laserprint, the most easily forged document I've ever received from an agent of the State. The PO must check them online.

Reply to
Huge

They do.

MOT and insurance now all centrally registered.

You can see your MOTs if you type in the actual MOT number online at VOSA and if you fill in the registration details as well, ALL previous ones.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wonder where they buy the specially grubby thumbprinted stationary? Or perhaps the app prints them?

Reply to
Huge

Next year maybe. It passed with flying colours.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And it's a long time since I went into a MOT station with ashtrays that were actually in use in the indoor waiting/viewing area:-)

Even the lad that tested my van was smoking a cigarette.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And it's a long time since I went into a MOT station with ashtrays that were actually in use in the indoor waiting/viewing area:-)

Even the lad that tested my van was smoking a cigarette.

That's the fuel system integrity check.

(Actually, probably not if your van is diesel!)

Reply to
Scion

That seems a little glib IME. Plenty of people sell cars for all sorts of reasons other than it being a "lemon".

Reply to
John Rumm

Erm, point of order... you claimed "There are exceptions, of course, but the vast majority of secondhand cars that are out of warranty are lemons." - out of warranty generally would mean most cars over 3 years old...

May I suggest that *you* read the thread. In particular the OP where it said "About £3k budget (ie purchase price; excluding insurance etc)".

There are plenty of decent cars out there to be had for £3K. In fact 10 year old prestige car will often find better quality results than 5 year old run of the mill stuff.

You are assuming that the current owner bought it new. Many folks will buy a nearly new car - sold as it comes out of warranty or is sold off by the fleet buyers etc, and then change it every one or two years. It will ensure they usually get a decent vehicle without too much trouble, but without getting stung for the highest part of the depreciation curve.

Possibly true... but in a world where you can buy a new car for 6K, 3 will still buy a respectable car. You just need to be careful what you choose.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , John Rumm writes

Reply to
hugh

There is an Indian car that I'd like, a Hundustan Ambassador. They're not quite at the point of western cars where 'No user serviceable parts inside', and I like that. Trouble is I don't think they can be made UK legal these days... used to be, was a company importing them, but AIUI changes to the regs mean the car can no longer comply without modifications that make it completely unreasonable.

Justin.

Reply to
Justin C

Far from cheap (£11425) when last sold in the UK according to

for sale here, 2001 £5000,

Tony Bryer

you can buy a new one here for £6K - in fact less :

John Rumm

I don't agree with that; the reasons for selling cars are many and varied.

Not true at all.

Reply to
grimly4

Indeed. Not sure WHY our freelander was sold..one careful lady owner..guess she traded it for a newer model..

Or maybe it was the split in the £5 turbo hose..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher