buying a brand new car

I tried that at the local Hyundai dealer - they were having none of it. Even for a car off the forecourt that they knew wasn't the spec that I wanted. List price or no sale!

They offered me a price but then couldn't find a dealer to supply at that price

tim

Reply to
tim...

Of course they are unwilling to tell you the lowest price they will accept! Their bonus is dependent on the amount they get you to pay.

Errr... The bottom line price is only offered to you at the point where you are about to walk out of the showroom without them making a sale.

Not always the cheapest one that you could get by talking directly to a good insurance broker though. Having an idea of the results from such a comparison ssite avoid expensive mistakes during renewal.

Likewise with mobile phone contracts. Unless you are talking to customer retention when up for renewal you will pay through the nose. It is amusing to probe for the walk away price when intending to leave. YMMV

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

I looked at one of these and the problem as I saw it was that, according to the blurb, the car was "driven" not "trucked" to your location.

I suspect that the best deals to be had on cars come from dealers in the more "depressed" parts of the country op norf and living, as I do, in the far SE corner of the country, that would put an awful lot of miles on the clock before I got it (driven, no doubt, by some speed merchant who doesn't give a damn about the car)

That was my problem ;-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

My hyundai dealer were selling demonstrator at list

tim

Reply to
tim...

Walk away prices are amusing.

I was on a 3 month special* with Sky Now Movies (Erm, I don't get out much) for 3 quid a month. The day before they reverted that to the normal 10 quid a month, I pressed the auto renew cancel button, then they snared me on a 4 quid for 4 months deal.

Didn't need it, but ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

You need to find out if the dealer has meet or is near his target just before the end of the month.

The dealer gets targets set by the manufacturer, if they meet them they get a discount on all the cars they have sold that period. The effect of this is that if the dealer is close to the target but thinks he may miss it they will sell a car below cost to get the discount on the rest. The alternative they have is to register it themselves, which is why you see pre registered cars in the showroom at a huge discount. Its quite advantages to buy a prereg as they are new, come with manufacturers warranty and have a big discount if they have the car you want. The last car I bought was a prereg and has 100,000 mile/lifetime warranty which I will keep for about ten years. It had been registered for five months.

Reply to
dennis

Depends what you mean by bottom line. The insurance company pays a commission to those sites. And there are some companies who don't use them at all.

So you may well get reasonably competitive prices - but not always the bottom line.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It also depends on the model. A brand new model, well reviewed by the press may just have demand exceed supply - so can be sold near new for

*more* than it cost. Rare - but can happen.

And depreciation percentage per year varies between makes and models too. A very well specced - ie loaded - boring car can loose a fortune in the first year. Making it a very good buy used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which you can then beat by going directly to the insurers ...

Reply to
Huge

In which case you turn round and walk away. Plenty more fish in the sea.

Reply to
Huge

They are each individual company's bottom line.

That is what the OP complained he wasn't getting from the dealer

He wasn't complaining that dealer X wasn't telling him he could get a better deal from dealer Y (or even by buying a different car completely)

tim

Reply to
tim...

I wasn't buying anything special

tim

Reply to
tim...

well I did, yes

But not plenty more Hyundai dealers

tim

Reply to
tim...

So buy something else.

Reply to
Huge

With the first, there isn't a price vs milage difference because you're

*buying* a car

With the second you're only *leasing* it, so the owner (not you) cares about the value when you give it back, hence the price varies with mileage.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes I understand that, that was all explained in my next paragraph

The questions really is

Why is there a different charge per month for an agreed mileage INSTEAD of just adjusting the value when it is returned.

This seems to work against the owner because they will (presumably) be penalised if they get it wrong.

I also note that with this "dealer", there is no guaranteed right to keep the car, so if you are a much lower user than you estimate, instead of being able to keep that added value (for the balloon payment) the finance company can say "Oo, a car worth more than then expected value, we'll keep that profit for ourselves"

all in all this particular dealer looks like a bad deal.

I'm just wondering what the advantages are that "pay" for these disadvantages.

tim

Reply to
tim...

I am/was looking for a very specific set of requirements

only a very few cars matched it, and only Hyundai in a standard model.

I was looking to get a car off the showroom floor, I didn't have time for a three month wait for factory build.

tim

Reply to
tim...

Presumably drivethedeal etc get to know which dealers need to sell a few extra cars to meet target, rather than scatter-gunning every request to every dealer? Or maybe they wait for the desperate dealers come to them to see who is looking to buy?

But you don't get to spec it yourelf.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It seems to be a 'procedure' main dealers have to try a sell you 'add ons', we experienced it earlier this year with Mercedes. Even when I told him I wasn't interested, he couldn't 'skip' ahead as the system required the boxes to be ticked.

On thing you could try. I used one of these brokers in the past. It worked very well, good price, quick delivery, no issues at all. I rang them up, said what I wanted ( an Espace). I got a call back, offered the latest model ( there had been a slight update), at a very good price including delivery to my home within a week or so. I paid a deposit by credit card (I think £250) and the balance by bankers cheque on delivery.

The transaction was faultless. The was car perfect. No post delivery issues at all.

Since then, I've used prices from brokers as a negotiating tactic. The brokers get their cars from dealers.

Unless you are buying something 'special', such as a limited edition vehicle, it is worth a try.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Well yes but the only option I wanted was a spare wheel rather than an inflater so the dealer took one from another car and we were both happy.

Reply to
dennis