Buscuit cutters to trim bottom of doors

Has anyone used a buscuit cutter to trim bottoms of doors for carpet etc?

Does it frey the door bottoms? Do you do cut from one side or cut from both sides of the door.

I have heard it mentioned by some of our contractors, but am not sure if it is leaves a good finish. I'd like to know before I have a go at home!!

dg

Reply to
dg

I don't think a biscuit cutter would go deep enough from one side.

Have you tried to hire the special circular saw that is made specially to cut the bottom of doors in situ? They cost about 300 pounds so hiring would be favourite if available. Personally I would just remove the doors and use a good panel saw.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

In article , MrCheerful writes

Alternatively, one might do as some contractors employed by the Nat West bank did when they'd fitted a new steel-reinforced door -- only to find that the carpet had been replaced after the door had been ordered so that the door was dragging on the deeper pile...

Take a belt sander to the carpet.

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie

The way I did mine was using a circular saw and the parallel guide. Piece of cake to do and a perfect finish.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere

What while the door is fitted!

Reply to
David

Yes .... "Just run it along the bottom, no need to take the door off", so I am told

It seems feasible, but I have not tried it.

dg

Reply to
dg

I didn't realise the OP didn't want to take the door off its hinges.

I remove my advice and promise to read posts more carefully in the future!

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere

surely a scythe would have been a better tool? or its powered equivalent, a lawn mower?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Use the proper tool, a door trimming saw. Available for hire from HSS

Sean

Reply to
parish