Building regs questions

I am thinking of having a wide dormer added to the back of our attic for a shower room and a box room (which currently has a double fronted one at the front). A couple of people have said to me if I have this done than the WHOLE house has to meet current building regs! I cannot see that this can be true, but they say builders have told them. But my house was built in 1890, how can it possibly meet current regs without being flattened and rebuilt?

Confused.

Also can anyone recommend a builder in Bradford (Yorkshire) area who can do plans etc; or should I be after an architect?

Reply to
Tim Morley

Have a look at John Rumm's excellent new website for all sorts of info on roof conversion:

you email him directly I'm sure he will be able to help.

Suzanne

Reply to
Suz

No, it doesn't. However, some of the building regulations will need to apply outside the conversion itself. A non exhaustive list might include:

  1. Fire escapes. Various ways to acheive, but basically, open plan stairs on the lower floors are a no-no and must be boxed in, unless there are separate fire escapes. Sometimes fire doors or closing devices are needed on existing floors.
  2. Mains linked smoke detectors.
  3. Foundations may need strengthening (there may not even be any!) for the increased weight.
  4. Fire proofing between the conversion and lower floors.

Obviously, the whole gamut of regulations apply within the conversion, although they let you have a slightly lower u-Value than for new build. Don't take advantage of this unless you really need the space, as additional insulation is a good idea.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks for the fast reply there. At least I am ok on the smoke alarms, one of the first jobs I did when we got the house 3 years ago!

Reply to
Tim Morley

Just read through it, looks really nice. I had a heart attack when it said to get the lot done with contractors would have cost 30-40k !

Reply to
Tim Morley

If you're altering what is a second floor, you'll need to bring the fire escape provisions up to modern standards. IIRC.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think that is about right. Just wish my hubby and I had half the skills John and his mates have...

Reply to
Suz

I would agree with what Christian said, however would add that if you are adding only a shower / bathroom and no other accomodation, then the rule *may* be less strict since the bathroom will not count as a habitable room.

(BTW when building regs require smoke alarms, they normally require they are interlinked and mains powered as well)

Reply to
John Rumm

Only one way to get 'em ;-))

Reply to
John Rumm

The 30 to 40K was based on what some friends have paid to have their conversions done. However these were different and perhaps not exactly comparable.

I did have a chat with one builder for ours and he started off with talk of figures in the early 20s - depending on exactly what finish etc was required. However that did exclude a number of costs, specifically: bathroom fittings and tiles (about 1K alone in our case), decoration, carpets etc (another 600 - 800 perhaps), it would not have included work I did on replacement of the boiler, or the gutters and soffits. So the impression I got was that the actual cost by the time it was *really* finished was going to be heading toward 30K based on his prices.

Even if you do spend 30K however, there is a fair chance in the current housing market you will recoup that and more if you sell.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well mostly only new work has to meet current regs: That can get 'confused' when overall house things like insulation are taken into account.

But in this case provided the extra bit of wall roof and window meet specs, you will be OK.

Talk to your BCO - most are not fire breathing monsters. Far better in any case to not start something that will need huge amounts spent for very little return if for some reason he isnists on something outlandish.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:50:13 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named "Tim Morley" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The extension and alterations have to comply with the latest requirements, but the existing has to be no worse than it was previously. It may be that you will have to do work outside the extension to make it comply (such as strengthening floors or foundations if the new work adds extra loads to them, for instance), but there's no requirement to parts of the building which are unaffected by the work.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula