building a trailer

Stick with the "light" part and it's OK. Over the weight limit though and it gets complicated - you can't re-use car brakes, you need trailer brakes to get adequate efficiency. Read the regs (or the precis of them in the trailer seller's catalogues) before you start.

As it's hard to find suitable donor cars anyway these days, the easiest route is to buy a ready-assembled axle, with rubber trailer suspension units on it. These are also a better match to typical light trailer weight.

2" steel angle iron will weld with a cheap stick welder, you don't even need a MIG.

Indespension, Towsure or any of the others sell plans and kits. Definitely get tehir cataogues first.

OTOH, Halfords et al. will sell you a cheap trailer that has low-maintenance aluminium bodywork and for not much more than the cost and hassle of building one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

How true.

I recently bought a European (forget who) made 5'x4' trailer for a 'reasonable' price.

I then gave it a 'once over' and although it was probably very useable it's wasn't how I liked it so gave it a refurb.

I probably spent (in total) something pretty close to the price of a new trailer (and this one 'finished' still wasn't new of course) but I enjoyed getting to know the thing and making my mark on it.

I am now 100% confident in it's abilities and would take it anywhere .. a feeling I'm not sure I would enjoy with a new one?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Can you point me to the indespension chassis you mention as I struggled to fing it on their website?

Also, are you suggesting that you can source new parts and build a trailer for £200?

Thanks

Reply to
news.btinternet.com

The trailer was a lightweight luggage trailer and unbraked

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

That's ok then (and why I added the "if you were doing the brakes bit") ;-)

I don't think I *had* to have brakes (even then) but as I had the means and interest I though it might be a good idea (and I still believe it was). ;-)

There are times when I 'lock out' the overrun brakes (like when it's empty) as because they are undamped it can sometimes get a bit 'choppy' if you have to brake quickly (rather than firmly) etc.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Check out eBay, then see. Small trailers sell for penuts on eBay.

Rick

Reply to
Rick