Builder and plumber. Demarcation line?

I was just musing about where the demarcation line was between builders and plumbers.

My first guess would be the walls of the building. If it inside the plumber does it. If it is outside the builder does it.

So builder to lay water main, soil and grey water drainage, external soil stack and soil stack etc. plus fittings through the wall.

Plumber to fit everything internally up to the sockets in the walls for various waste pipes, and inboard of the stopcock.

There is, of course a lot of overlap in real life.

Builders will do a bit of plumbing. Plumbers might do a bit of external work.

I was musing because I may need a hand with finalising the provision of services to the shed. Some external work with soil pipe and water main. Some internal work with WHB, possibly toilet, possibly shower.

It would be good to just have one trade doing it all. My current feeling is that a builder could do most if not all. I would do as much DIY as possible but I am slowing down, and getting it done is the main priority.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

It'll depend on the amount of work and whether the builder can do the work himself I guess. When I had my extension built approx ten years ago, the builder extended the pipes for the repositioned radiators himself. He also extended several existing lighting circuits, which was approved by the building inspector. I suspect though that if the plumbing/electrical work had been more involved then he would have empoyed qualified trades to do the work.

Reply to
Peter Johnson