BSP pipes - how to tighten and have them facing the right way?

In the event that you need to remove a section in the middle, you cut the pipe, unscrew both ends and fit a union when reassembling.

Reply to
Nightjar

I'm having trouble imagining how you do up the last one.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

In which case, you need to look up what type of fitting a union is.

Reply to
Nightjar

A union is a generic term for joining two pipes together. The only thing I can think of that you might be getting at is there's a reverse thread so you do everything up at once? How many hands do you have?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And if that is too difficult, think about how you connect a pipe to a tap.

Reply to
newshound

With a swivelable end, or the pipe (I assume you mean a hosepipe) is going to spin around and get all tangled up.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

FFS, we are talking about plumbing in steel pipework, where does hosepipe come into it? Do you actually know what a tap connector looks like? THE FITTING THAT GOES ONTO COPPER PIPE TO ALLOW YOU TO CONNECT IT TO THE TAP ON A SINK OR BASIN.

Reply to
newshound

You said connect a pipe to a tap, you were ambiguous. You could very well have been comparing it to a hosepipe.

And the same answer applies, the swivelable end. I've never used any connection where the pipe or tap would have to be rotated. This BSP nonsense doesn't allow you to turn stuff without the whole lot moving:

James Wilkinson Sword

Let's say you needed to replace the bit of pipe at the top of the N shape, bottom right in the above photo. Rotate the pipe and you tighten one joint and loosen the other, so impossible to remove, and impossible to add a new section. Rotate either joint and the entire lot of pipework would have to move round.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No, it is the name of a very specific type of pipe fitting, easily found by using a popular search engine and entering 'pipe union'.

Reply to
Nightjar

*sigh*. It's JWS you're arguing with. His raison d'être is to get you hot under the collar with inanities. Arguing with a troll is a complete waste of time and worsens the S/N ratio here.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Did that already. Didn't do what you said.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Idiot. I simply asked how you attach and repair BSP pipes. Why is that= such a problem for you? And why haven't you killfiled me if you don't = like my posts?

-- =

A bird in the hand is always greener than the grass under the other guy'= s bushes.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The fittings are designed to stretch a bit.

Reply to
harry

True. This is the reason unions exist.

harry

There are two unions on that image, on the vertical pipes.

Reply to
harry

I am not familiar with what they do.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

IIRC it is known as maleable iron. I used 1" pipe as conduit to carry network, phone and coaxial cables to the workshop, I used quite a few conical couplings on the 70' straight run. this let me feed 6 cables simultaneously up the pipe. Even then, the friction was a major problem. The bends were female and aligned as required. The run needed to be water tight, probably is airtight.

Reply to
Capitol

Wh not use nice copper pipe and compression fittings? What are you using outdated technology for?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The malleable iron is for low pressure work. Similar steel fittings are used inhigher pressures.

Both mostly used for water and steam. In the past gas and compressed air too. Declining as various plastic systems come into use.

Reply to
harry