BSP pipes - how to tighten and have them facing the right way?

Do people still use BSP threaded pipes? I see them for gas on the outside of houses. And it struck me that it should be impossible to tighten them fully - what's the chances of the corner piece facing the right way?
On 01-Apr-17 4:44 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Excellent, if you know what you are doing. I installed a combination of 2" and 1" steel pipe for airlines around two factory units, with multiple branches. They all ended up facing the right way and there were no leaks. You just need a couple of good Stillson wrenches.

Colin Bignell

So am I to take it that they don't have to be 100% tight? You can't dictate where the tight point will be.
--
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips

On Saturday, 1 April 2017 17:56:11 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

You "overtighten" them. There is a fair degree of latitude. It's down to experience. In the worst case you can use the dies and put a bit more thread on the pipe. They are taper threads BTW.
On 4/1/2017 6:37 PM, harry wrote:

Agreed. Your adjustment is normally down to extrusion of your sealant rather than plastic deformation of the threads (but even so you do have some lee-way there).
On 01/04/2017 18:37, harry wrote:

BSP threads are available in both taper and parallel. The taper ones seal on the threads, while the parallel ones use a sealing washer - often these days a Dowty washer or similar, although I have seen OLD specifications for "greased leather" washers!
SteveW

I've got a BSP male to male adaptor here which is straight and has no washer. It sealed perfectly with no PTFE tape.
--
Before Murphy's Law, there was IPOIO, the innate perversity of inanimate objects. Inanimate objects move when nobody is looking.

On 01-Apr-17 5:56 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

In the case of my air lines they needed to be airtight at 7 bar.

You can with a couple of Stillson wrenches.

Colin Bignell

This is JWS you're responding to. Do you really think it's worth the effort?
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Tim+ wrote:

+1

I was just asking ffs.
I much prefer speedfit (or compression fittings if it's somewhere plastic could get chewed by pets). None of this old fashioned BSP and soldering shit.
--
Only public user defined types defined in public object modules can be used
as parameters or return types for public procedures of class modules or as

Doesn't that bugger ther thread?
--
Best Friend Experiment:
Put your dog and your wife in the trunk of the car for an hour.
On Saturday, 1 April 2017 20:29:57 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

The fittings are designed to stretch a bit.
harry wrote:

    IIRC it is known as maleable iron. I used 1" pipe as conduit to carry network, phone and coaxial cables to the workshop, I used quite a few conical couplings on the 70' straight run. this let me feed 6 cables simultaneously up the pipe. Even then, the friction was a major problem. The bends were female and aligned as required. The run needed to be water tight, probably is airtight.

Wh not use nice copper pipe and compression fittings? What are you using outdated technology for?
--
A young girl had not been feeling well and went to her family doctor. "Young lady," the doctor began, "you're pregnant."
"But that can't be. The only men I've been with are nudists, and in our colony we practice sex only with our eyes."
On Wednesday, 5 April 2017 00:05:48 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Copper is also outdated. Plastic is used more these days.

Agreed.
--
If you think people aren't creative, watch them try to re-fold a roadmap.

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

    Copper isn't strong enough.

Then use compression fittings on a different pipe.
--
Tip: Don't substitute salt for sugar in recipes.
It tastes like shit.
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

    Why?