BSP pipes - how to tighten and have them facing the right way?

Do people still use BSP threaded pipes? I see them for gas on the outside of houses. And it struck me that it should be impossible to tighten them fully - what's the chances of the corner piece facing the right way?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Excellent, if you know what you are doing. I installed a combination of

2" and 1" steel pipe for airlines around two factory units, with multiple branches. They all ended up facing the right way and there were no leaks. You just need a couple of good Stillson wrenches.
Reply to
Nightjar

So am I to take it that they don't have to be 100% tight? You can't dictate where the tight point will be.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You have answered your own question - the technicians who fit them for gas always get them to face the correct direction.

Reply to
alan_m

You "overtighten" them. There is a fair degree of latitude. It's down to experience. In the worst case you can use the dies and put a bit more thread on the pipe. They are taper threads BTW.

Reply to
harry

When I was an apprentice I learnt this sort of thing on day release. The OP will not know what Stillsons are. Best not to feed him.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Stillsons:

Mr Pounder Esquire

In the case of my air lines they needed to be airtight at 7 bar.

You can with a couple of Stillson wrenches.

Reply to
Nightjar

This is JWS you're responding to. Do you really think it's worth the effort?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Agreed. Your adjustment is normally down to extrusion of your sealant rather than plastic deformation of the threads (but even so you do have some lee-way there).

Reply to
newshound

+1
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I was just asking ffs.

I much prefer speedfit (or compression fittings if it's somewhere plastic could get chewed by pets). None of this old fashioned BSP and soldering shit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Doesn't that bugger ther thread?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My question was how.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Have you realised who you are replying to?

Reply to
Capitol

I think he is just posting for the sake of it. Its quite obviously not the pipe you do up is it, after all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It is about half the time Brian. You screw a connector onto a pipe, then screw the next section of pipe into that.

Reply to
Nightjar

Now try to undo a section in the middle for repair. You can't turn either end as they're attached to everything else!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword