British hot water systems

Is any one still installing gravity hot water systems in Britain? They are becoming non existent in Australia as most new and replacement systems are mains pressure.

Reply to
F Murtz

F Murtz :

I'd replace our HW system with mains pressure if the mains pressure was good enough. But I get better flow by pumping the contents of the tank in the loft.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yes, they have a lot of advantages. Most of the existing water distribution= systems was installed with 1/2" service pipes to fill loft tanks and it is= not certain that you will get an adequate flow rate for a mains pressure s= ystem. The water suppliers only have to provide 1 bar pressure; they have b= een reducing the supply pressure to reduce mains leakage rates in some area= s.

Reply to
Onetap

Probably not in homes, but stored water systems are essential for businesses of any size, as otherwise failure of incoming supply for more than a few hours means you have to close the building down. I have worked in a 24x7 data centre where our water supply did fail, and the loft tanks meant we could stay open by having a tanker come and refill them once a day. A smaller business next door had to close their premises (no tanks I guess - their building didn't have a loft), and they got a skelton staff back in a couple of days later once they had a portaloo installed in their car park.

For the same reason, I'm quite pleased I do have 50 gallons stored in my loft, particularly when there was talk a month back of our drought possibly resulting in standpipes in the street (since when, it hasn't stopped raining).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I didn't ... it is still the way for budget installs, although many opt for Combi as it's cheaper again.

I went for mains pressure HW system via a Thermal Store.

Has benefit of mains pressure Hot Water at very high flow rates, as it's not dependent on boiler firing for HW it avoids short inefficient boiler cycles.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I've justinstalled one in my place, owing to the unreliability of the public supply. If I were in town, it might be a different matter.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have not seen one in a new build home for at last 10 years. However when I was wiring up grant scheme jobs a few years ago (the ones where the got free CH replacement or insallation) all the S and P plans used gravity hot water.

Reply to
ARWadsworth