Bright work lights, preferably 12 volt

Can anyone recommend some reasonably bright portable work lights better than the typical 11w or 13w ones that are commonly available.

Are the multi-led ones any good?

I'd prefer 12 volts (big boat batteries available) but could make do with mains I suppose.

Reply to
tinnews

one of the most useful lights I have is a 20W link light that I never got around to fitting in the kitchen. With a long 'printer' lead or similar, I find myself using this everywhere. Use in conjunction with a cheap LED head light, hands are free in ways undreamed of in early diy days.

Spamlet

Lumen Output: - 4000 # Colour: - Cool White 4000K # 60 Watts: which is equivalent to 325 watts on a traditional non energy saving light bulb and 180w Mercury discharge lamp

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'd go for one with dozens of LEDs. They won't get hot and burn you when in a tight spot under a car. And I don't like 230 volt cables in tight spots either.

Reply to
Matty F

Google 12v flouresent marine or RV work light, Leds will cost many times more and may not provide more light yet, flouresent can be 4-6x more efficent than an incandesant and fairly cheap

Reply to
ransley

I've got a rechargeable LED inspection light which I keep in the old car, but there's something about the quality of light from that which makes it not as good as a subjectively similar in output fluorescent mains one I have too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

Leds are directional so the light output can be scewed and misrepresented falsely, they are great for flashlights and spotlights but for overall light a Flourescent tube rules. Actual Led Lumen output is just now begininning to reach Flourescents, many on the marker are still no more efficent than incandesants at around 16-18 LPW, T8 flourescent go from 60-80 LPW and some new stuff is nea 110 LPW. Leds are still not prime time ready because of cost for most aplications, but I like the flashlights. And a flourescent tube you can buy anywhere when yours break.

Reply to
ransley

I have one of these which is the mutts nuts.

actually prefer the light from LED's - especially when checking plumbing - water droplets seem to sparkle so the sligtest frip is easy to spot.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Got 'discontinued on that link, but DIY - Torches gave:

light - I'm after a work light - thanks.

Reply to
PeterC

I think no one light type is best for all jobs, and a few different worklights are a good option.

rechargable LED - no cord, small & light, only lights small areas close up, CRI is poor, robust Fluorescent - king on quantity & efficacy, but fragile and more bulky than other types CFL in holder with wire cover - very cheap task lights, ideal where risk of breakage is high

NT

Reply to
NT

Do you have a cordless drill or similar?

Makita, Dewalt & Bosch do cordless torch bodies for their batteries. Light is usually pretty good, directional head with beam so it doesn't move around, typically splashproof, 9.6V-12V-14.4V-18V. Can be had on Ebay relatively cheaply (more than a normal torch, but it uses your existing multi amphour batteries and fast charger).

Reply to
js.b1