brand new but very old aerials for sale

I modified a TV56 (17" version of the TV53) but ended up fitting a transistorised dual standard IF strip and tuner. It served me well until I invested in colour.

Reply to
<me9

Well a house that I could have bought in 1971 for £1,800 is now worht bout £200,000.

That makes the whole £1 of 1971 now worth about 2.4d

Reply to
<me9

Does that mean I can trade in my 3d bits for 12 p apiece? Who's doing the deal?

Reply to
brightside S9

Silver or brass?

Reply to
polygonum

Must have been a ruin with no roof.

Reply to
Max Demian

A house I bought in 1971 for £2,600 (Regent Grove, Doncaster) has just gone on the market for £120,000.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

They still do. Often the colour of the plastic end plug on the boom will tell you.

Reply to
John Rumm

This one gets 5p:

John Rumm

I don't doubt that the definition was better than a domestic TV but IMHO the thing that would have set the studio monitor apart from a TV is it's ability to maintain a proper black level.

I can only think of one mono TV that I dealt with regularly that gave a reasonable account of itself in that respect, and it was a Decca, chassis number long forgotten.

Most other mono sets made little or no effort in providing black level clamping or simple DC restoration, and the mean-level AGC system often used also conspired to the same end.

Reply to
Graham.

when I bought my first dual standard set (1964), I went to the Radio Show and specifically asked about a black level clamp at the various stands. I bought an Ekco - there was someone on the stand who knew what I was talking aabout ;-)

Reply to
charles

Wasn't it Prince Philip who went to a TV factory and said that "this black level clamp thingamabob" wanted tightening?...

Reply to
tony sayer

I think he asked someone to fix his DVD player.

Reply to
Max Demian

*My* black and white TV set (previous to the studio monitor) certainly did have black level clamp circuitry, because I put it there. Nevertheless the fine detail wasn't quite as good as the studio monitor, which I assumed was something to do with the difficulty of obtaining good beam focus on a wider deflection tube. My external tuner may also have had a better HF response.

Rod.

Reply to
Roderick Stewart

Around 1966/7, the Wireless World carried an article for fitting a very simple DIY add-on black level clamp to B&W valve TV sets. It worked fairly well in my Ferguson 3000 (although the black did still change a bit). It didn't fix the problems of contrast expansion/contraction (it wasn't intended to), but it certainly made viewing a lot more pleasurable.

I have some circuits of American TV sets of the 1950s. With their negative video modulation and positive syncs, it should have been relatively easy to have peak level AGC, and to use directly coupled video drive to the cathode of CRT (and thus maintain proper black and contrast levels). However, they all seemed to use the horrible mean-level AGC and AC coupling so beloved of the designers of UK TV sets.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I think you will find it was my wife that started it in Tesco's.

Reply to
Graham.

June 6th 1944?

Reply to
Peter

Bill must have worn very well for his age ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm