brake problem on Dewalt DW708

Having purchased a DeWalt DW708 for a good price three years ago, it has sat in the box virtually untouched until this week, when I finally got round to the renovation work it had been purchased for in the first place!

Anyway, after only a few days of very light use it has started acting-up. After releasing the power switch the blade will continue to spin for several seconds, followed by a violent grinding sound as the brake kicks in and brings the blade to a stop.

Has anyone any experience of this type of problem with this saw. Or, does anyone have any experience of service support from DeWalt for tools well out of their warranty period, but barely used. I have contacted them by email, but have yet to receive a reply.

The thought of having to have a potentially expensive repair done is not something I'm looking forward to.

Any comments welcome (other than tough luck!)

thanks.

Reply to
Callum Lindsay

the box virtually

had been purchased for

releasing the power

violent grinding sound as

anyone have any experience

barely used. I have

something I'm looking

never mind - fixed it - blade working loose!!!

Reply to
Callum Lindsay

in the box virtually

had been purchased for

After releasing the power

violent grinding sound as

anyone have any experience

but barely used. I have

something I'm looking

That's good news. It's a nice saw....

Two pieces of advice.

I looked at these some while ago along with the Makita LS1013 which is in the same category as the DW708.

- It's worth spending time cleaning the crud away from the sliders after each day's work. A quick wipe is all that's needed plus an occasional couple of drops of oil.

- The blades even on these saws are quite good but not outstanding. When it blunts, it's worth replacing it with a CMT or Freud blade. I keep two grades - one for rough chopping work and one with more teeth for precision cuts in hardwoods.

Reply to
Andy Hall

in the box virtually

had been purchased for

After releasing the power

violent grinding sound as

anyone have any experience

but barely used. I have

something I'm looking

Andy,

Yeah, bit of a tw*t!. This was the first thing I checked (or so I thought).

Cheers for the advice, much appreciated.

Totally agree about getting a better blade when the time comes. Went for Freud blades with my table saw (DW744) and it was a big improvement.

thanks,

Callum

Reply to
Callum Lindsay

replying to Callum Lindsay, Bob S. wrote: I wish I'd seen this earlier. I searched for hours for correct answers, bought new bearings and brushes and took the saw apart, replaced the parts, after viewing multiple methods and videos. Probably at least 20 hours in this project. Problem still there. Saw this, tightened the blade. Problem solved.... Damn, I feel like an idiot...

Reply to
Bob S.