Bouncing Makita

Working on a ladder today using my 14.4v Mak combi with a 3 a/hr NiMh battery (which makes it 'kin heavy).

Went to put it into holster thingy on tool belt, didn't get it right & it plummeted 14' straight down onto a solid concrete floor.

"Oh botheration" I said to myself. Went down the ladder with a sickening feeling around the wallet area.

Total damage? One small chip on the plastic casing. Drill works 100% perfectly.

Couldn't believe my luck. Worth buying good gear.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I had exactly the same experience with my bosch impact driver. Fell about 4.5 meters onto masonry. I actually didn't both to get down off the scaffold right then to look at it, but started thinking about when I would have time to get out an buy another one.

It was untouched.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Just as well there was no one underneath it, or some prized possesion of the owners...

Not thought of having a leash attached to such tools when working at heights?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

To the tune of Waltzing Matilda....

Reply to
Clot

TBH its the first time its ever happened - which doesn't mean its the last obviously. Repercussions are far beyond tool damage as you say.

Might invest in one of these

The Medway Handyman

Polycarbonate bounces - until it shatters, that said you were lucky not to lose a battery finger-tab.

Reply to
js.b1

Indeed it was - Bouncing Makita, bouncing Makita

Well spotted that man :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Too right. I was a happy bunny when I found it had survived.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

tool. Something like the beefier version:

probably be better.

Reply to
John Rumm

I use a lanyard when there's a particular increased risk of dropping a tool - but you simply cannot do this for every tool, brick and drill bit.

Tidy working conditions - good. Toolbags/buckets - good. Toeboards if it's a proper scaffold - good.

But unless you're going to work like NASA, at a snail's pace and with every movement pre-planned - drops will happen.

Oh but - even they've dropped toolboxes and wrenches off into space.

Reply to
RubberBiker

latter is what I was thinking of rather than something to slip around you wrist. Attached to the holster or belt, not through a belt loop as in the Axminster picture. I suspect a dropped drill would just rip the belt loop off the trousers...

I wonder how bungee the bungee is? You don't want a dropped tool to bounce around but conversely a dead line could transfer rather too much shock to you.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

> That latter is what I was thinking of rather than something to slip

Prolly would. I wear Bib & Brace type overalls, so belt loop won't work.

Total load is only 5kg, decent combi would weigh at least half that. SDS could well be over.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That might save the tool but there should never have been an issue with hitting someone as he should have ensured nobody can enter the danger area. Maybe he needs to buy a roll of "danger keep out" tape too?

Reply to
dennis

I now have the mental picture of Dave up a ladder being repeatedly clobbered about the gentleman's region by a bouncing drill on a bungee!

Reply to
John Rumm

Perhaps if working on a public pavement, but it would seem exceptional and rather unusual for work at a domestic property.

Reply to
John Rumm

OT but same maker. I have the Makita 710W HP1631. I drilled about a dozen 13mm holes in concrete block this pm. The drill was cold by 'tidy-up' time, but I couldn't get the bit out of the chuck. I don't want to use a monkey-wrench or vice as the chuck case seems to be rubber or plastic covered. The drill's about 4 months old - any ideas? TIA.

.
Reply to
Bertie Doe

Sometimes a sharp 'tap' sorts it out, or (on some machines) you can use the side handle to grip the chuck & reverse the machine.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks Dave, i need to take out another section of the concrete block. It's bound to get hot again, so it'll probably drop out tomorrow.

.
Reply to
Bertie Doe