Bosch PMF180E multitool offer - 42.50UKP

I've had no luck with that method either, mainly, as you say, because of the length of stroke. However small the cut-off blade, and whatever angle you approach the board, it doesn't work on my jigsaw.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

But if you're putting that piece of board back afterwards, it seems like the only way to get a narrow kerf

Reply to
Stuart Noble

What happens? Does it stall? I first used it with a pretty basic B&D one which I'd guess had less power than any these days.

You have to be firm but gentle when starting the cut.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't recall the grisly details but I remember thinking that a) it wasn't doing the job and b) it constituted full blown tool abuse :-)

I first used it with a pretty basic B&D one

Basic plunge cuts are ok because the bottom of the blade has a curved profile, but IME the snapped off 90 deg profile tends to just hammer the surface, even at an angle. Maybe a smaller saw would be better for this. I'll pick one up in Lidl's and give it a try. This floorboard cutting/narrow kerf is certainly an ongoing problem that doesn't seem to have a satisfactory solution. Maybe the multitool is as good as it gets.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

As Dave said you need to be firm but gentle to get the blade into the board. Press the front edge of the sole plate firmly down, with the blade clear of the work, start the saw and very slowly and gently lower it into contact. It will tend to bounce but being firm holding the front edge of the sole plate down will control it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can get deWalt jigsaw blades (from Screwfix) that have a very broad blade with the teeth offset from the bit that fits in the saw enough that you can turn the machine on its nose and cut almost parallel into a floor board. I used to use them for cutting boards before I got my multitool which, with a coarse wood cutting blade (look on Miles Tools or Rapid Elx) do a neater and safer job.

Reply to
YAPH

Snap the blade at an angle then - or grind it slightly afterwards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can see you might have difficulty if the stroke length is longer than the board thickness. Then the blade would withdraw entirely from the cut, and there would be a fair chance you would end up bouncing off along the top of the board.

Reply to
John Rumm