Bosch PMF 180E

My first jigsaw was a Black & Decker (gold painted diecast metal era) attachment for the front of a drill.

It was _painfully_ obvious that this was a terrible idea. I've never used such an evil unbalanced lash-up

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What he is saying is that there is now competition to the Fein and that reduces prices, not necessarily quality.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You can buy a samsung laser with /two/ sets of toner carts (one set 3/4 full, one full) for that price in Staples ATM. Works quite well too.

Reply to
dennis

I still can't believe there is much difference.. I have a really cheap angle grinder and it works as well as any I have tried. I don't think it will last as long as it has a brushed motor rather than an induction motor but that's what you get for £5. BTW its now ten years old and still going but its not used much.

Reply to
dennis

There's no comparison between the print output from a Samsung laser and that from a Xerox Phaser, believe me. Also the Samsung works out at

10p/page the Xerox at 2p/page. The Samsung takes 30s to print a page the Phaser prints full colour photo quality at 30 pages a minute. The Samsung needs four passes over a page to print resulting in slow print speeds, misregistration of colours and ultimately poor quality output. The Phaser prints all four colours in one pass, blends inks to get smooth colou gradations and in pre-press mode produces output itentical to magazine print (for a wide range of press types) so that I can proof output and know exactly what it will look like in print.

It's like all tools, if the consumer version fits your needs that's fine. I often have to print hundreds of manuals, booklets and prepare work for professional printing all to tight deadlines. I need a printer that's robust, reliable, properly calibrated and fast.

And the paper capacity on the Xerox is 1250 sheets, which is "quite a bit" better than the Samsung and again essential for my use.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That isn't competition at all.

Competition only exists in the vendor's chosen market segement.

Does one see Festool reducing prices in response to Techtronics Ryobi's latest offering? I don't think so. I don't even see them altering prices in response to Bosch blue, DeWalt or Makita which are rather closer in the market.

If Bosch had produced a product in their blue range, it might be different, but I don't imagine that Fein will perceive a Bosch green product as competition or that there will be any significant reduction in their sales volume.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Pennies? £40 is £40. The plunge blade is the one I will use most and its nearly a £10 cheaper!!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 17:28:28 +0100, "The Medway Handyman" mused:

But have you checked the quality of both sets of blades? Maybe there is a reason the Bosch ones are cheaper?

Reply to
Lurch

Half a tank o petrol.

And if you use two where you might have needed only one?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I cut the whole for the first kitchen sink I ever installed using one of those...

Indeed!

Reply to
John Rumm

Buy a pack of ten for the Fein and they are much closer to the same price.

Reply to
John Rumm

Or nearly 3 weeks diesel for my 1.4 Kangoo van.

Then I would still be in front. Three instead of one would be different, but its not likely is it?

Why should you doubt Bosch blades? If it where a cheapo Lidl jobby then that might be the case.

Bosch sell jigsaw blades, multi material drills etc all of which are of excellent quality. Why would they compromise their name on the blades for these?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I dunno...did you ever try the circular saw attachment??

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes (turquoise diecast)! Evil, but I think the jigsaw was worse.

Mind you, have you seen the Bridges circular saw attachements from the '50s and '60s? Now _they_ looked like they combined useless and hazardous in a rarely seen manner.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Have you found out who sells the blades, etc?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

what a pointless post!!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Because you have wiped the floor with them over this Fein vs Bosch tool.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You're the expert on that......

Reply to