Bosch AKE 40 chainsaw question - is the -19 version worth the extra cost?

I was about to buy a Bosch AKE 40-19S chainsaw from SFix when I saw that Homebase have a cheaper Bosch AKE 40S. The obvious differences are a slightly higher motor power and chain speed on the -19 but I'm tempted to go for the cheaper one if that's all. Has anyone here any experience of either?

Reply to
nospam

I have the Bosch AKE 40-185.

1800W 40 cms.

Does me very well for my limited use. Do buy a chain sharpener as well because a sharp chain makes an enormous difference to the ease of cutting.

Previously I had a B&D where you had to take a side panel off and undo a nut with a spanner and use a screwdriver to tension the chain. Pain in the bum.

This one has a big wheel on the side, with one part being the locking mechanism and the other being the adjuster. Much easier.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I send my chains to a place in Lancashire. Back in 3-4 days, very sharp, for just a few pounds.

Reply to
Bob Martin

When daughter worked for a local Tree Surgery company they were all quite paternal about sharpening their own saws. One day when they got back to the yard early, daughter offered to sharpen any saws (along with doing her own) and a couple said 'yes'. When they came back the next day they were both enthusing just how sharp they were and wanted her to do it all the time (and she didn't mind as it was something she enjoyed and was easier than splitting logs or shoveling chip). ;-)

At the time she was doing the sharpening by hand but I think she also uses one of those bench mounted sharpeners and suggests they are 'ok'.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Must slow you down if you are half way through a cutting session and the chain needs sharpening.

I assume that you have two chains (at least) so you can use one and send one off?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Yes, two chain saws and two chains for each!

Reply to
Bob Martin

I've always used a standard chainsaw file to sharpen chainsaws, but it's not a job I enjoy doing so would be interested to hear of any gizzmos that would make it faster ... ?

Reply to
nospam

Lidl do a sort of customised angle grinder on a stand for sharpening chains.

However, only about twice a year and it was on sale in the last couple of months.

No idea how good it is.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

In message , David writes

I have a file holder which clamps to the blade guide and allows you to set the various angles specified for sharpening your particular chain. Probably found at your nearest lawnmower/garden tackle outlet. eg.

Tim Lamb

That's what I have, but I tend to use the guide separately from the file, just to get the angle about right.

Reply to
nospam

Nice looking bit of kit. At the moment I just use a free hand file with a guide clamped to it.

The page also has a link to a sharpener a bit like the Lidl one. Must not give in to temptation!

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David