Bonding water supply.

Notices recently that my incoming water supply doesn't appear to be earth bonded. Not good. Does a bonding earth need to be taken back to the meter/CU location, or is a connection to a nearby ring citcuit adequate? Or since I'm on a TT earth system, can I simply provide an additional earth - t'would be much simpler to bang an extra earth rod in!

I'll probably get a pro in to sort this out along with some other jobs, but I like to understand how things work.

SR

Reply to
SR

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:45:13 +0000 (UTC), SR strung together this:

Yep. It needs to be connected to the CU so it is at the same potential as all the other earthed metalwork in the installation.

Reply to
Lurch

It all depends on what the mains water pipes are made of. If the pipes are all plastic, then they don't need an earth bonding terminal at all. It's only when and where the mains plastic pipe takes over to copper or lead pipework inside the house that a solid earth bond needs to be fitted. A proper earth bond to the consumer side, that's the inside part of the main stopcock, mains water pipe needs to be a minimum Cross Sectional Area Cable of 10 mm, and this is taken to the earth bar in the electrical consumer unit (fuse box), or to the Henley Connector block, a little black plastic box with green/yellow wires going in to it, near the consumer unit.

Hope this helps a bit.

Reply to
BigWallop