Bolting-up porcelain

Hi all,

I'm just in the process of bolting this new WC bowl (one of the concealed f rame-behind-wall types) to the frame through the tiled plasterboard that co nceals it and was wondering how tight it should be? The bowl weighs about 6

5lbs and is held to the wall by only two M12 bolts.

I've always been ***very*** wary about bolting up porcelain sanitary ware o n account of its total inflexibility and inclination to crack with zero war ning. There is nothing in the instructions on this aspect. How do you tell how much force to use? THanks...

Reply to
orion.osiris

frame-behind-wall types) to the frame through the tiled plasterboard that conceals it and was wondering how tight it should be? The bowl weighs about

65lbs and is held to the wall by only two M12 bolts.

account of its total inflexibility and inclination to crack with zero warning. There is nothing in the instructions on this aspect. How do you tell how much force to use? THanks...

Until it breaks, then a bit less.

Reply to
Huge

ed frame-behind-wall types) to the frame through the tiled plasterboard tha t conceals it and was wondering how tight it should be? The bowl weighs abo ut 65lbs and is held to the wall by only two M12 bolts.

re on account of its total inflexibility and inclination to crack with zero warning. There is nothing in the instructions on this aspect. How do you t ell how much force to use? THanks...

You sound like you've been there and done that!

Reply to
orion.osiris

frame-behind-wall types) to the frame through the tiled plasterboard that conceals it and was wondering how tight it should be? The bowl weighs about

65lbs and is held to the wall by only two M12 bolts.

on account of its total inflexibility and inclination to crack with zero warning. There is nothing in the instructions on this aspect. How do you tell how much force to use? THanks...

Naah, but I have though about it before as I've been screwing down sanitaryware.

(There's an old joke about cooking toast; "Until it smokes, then 20 seconds less.")

Reply to
Huge

I guess this is one of those jobs where it's actually an *advantage* to onl y have a short, cheap, crappy spanner available! Like those hopeless things they used to give away free with mopeds for changing spark plugs. I'm inclined towards just nipping the thing up until all slack between the bowl and the wall is taken up and leaving it at that. Tighten, wiggle, tigh ten, wiggle, and so on if you get my meaning. Best get some thread locking compound to stop it coming lose again.

A sample output from Linux ddate? Looks familiar...

Reply to
orion.osiris

have a short, cheap, crappy spanner available! Like those hopeless things they used to give away free with mopeds for changing spark plugs.

bowl and the wall is taken up and leaving it at that. Tighten, wiggle, tighten, wiggle, and so on if you get my meaning. Best get some thread locking compound to stop it coming lose again.

Not a sample, it's todays date.

Reply to
Huge

only have a short, cheap, crappy spanner available! Like those hopeless th ings they used to give away free with mopeds for changing spark plugs.

the bowl and the wall is taken up and leaving it at that. Tighten, wiggle, tighten, wiggle, and so on if you get my meaning. Best get some thread lock ing compound to stop it coming lose again.

By Jove, you're right. Got the same result here on my system!

Reply to
orion.osiris

Nothing to do with Jove.

All Hail Eris!