Boilers, boilers..

Please don't has you clearly don't know too much about them. 10 litre/min from wall hung combis? Please. The FAQ needs to have correct and factual information, nothing that is misleading, no old wives tales or personal prejudices.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So you won't be contributing then?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I will edit the content.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm about half way through. I'll willingly take into consideration everyones comments. I'm quite pleased with the generosity of the good doctor's offer to edit it. ISTR that when he looked at the Sealed CH FAQ he only got to the first paragraph before giving up and declaring the work as 'incomplete' and 'wrong'. This FAQ is about choosing a particular maker/model not the type of boiler or heating system.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Take into account FACTS, NOT opinions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that is what I said then that is correct.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Highflow is NOT a CPSU.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Just seeing if you were awake.....

The Highflow is classed as a storage combi since its store is under 70 litres and does not feed the radiators.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I used Unibond bathroom and shower sealant from the local shed. Expensive at 8 quid a go but it's so bloody waterproof it's v.difficult to smooth it after application 'cos it sticks to

*everything*. Flexible too, the only thing that broke it in our case was for some reason the shower tray managed to drop a few mm (don't ask why, I dunno yet!) and the stuff stretched and broke the grout on the surrounding tiles resulting in much leakage.....

The moral to this tale is if yer tray doesn't drop this stuff is good! IMO obviously.

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I used Unibond bathroom and shower sealant from the local shed. Expensive at 8 quid a go but it's so bloody waterproof it's v.difficult to smooth it after application 'cos it sticks to

*everything*. Flexible too, the only thing that broke it in our case was for some reason the shower tray managed to drop a few mm (don't ask why, I dunno yet!) and the stuff stretched and broke the grout on the surrounding tiles resulting in much leakage.....

The moral to this tale is if yer tray doesn't drop this stuff is good! IMO obviously.

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yep Matt.

Matt, so not a CPSU.

But Matt....a CPSU has the DHW & CH taken off the store of water and the boiler "only" heats the store eliminating boiler cycling. So the Heatflow is not a CPSU.

The ACV Heatmaster is a hybrid of thermal store and unvented cylinder (although to complicate matters the unvented cylinder can be vented by removing the pressure controls). The CH is taken directly off the store of water and DHW via an unvented cylinder immersed in the store of water heated by the store of water. So, in effect a CPSU, but SEDUK don't think so.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If you think about it, since it's a modulating boiler, it won't cycle at any great rate when driving only the heating circuit anyway.

Which demonstrates that the definition is arbitrary, doesn't it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, the CH 'and' the DHW have to be taken off the store.

No it isn't. Sedbuk got it wrong. An immersed DHW coil or immersed DHW cylinder are basically the same thing in this context. Both dipped inside a thermal store.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They don't *have* to be. This is just something that is implemented on that type of appliance.

Oh of course, silly me. Which manufacturer's web site got it "right"

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, to be a CPSU they have to.

Matt, self awareness, encouraging.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Dan ignore all conflicting advice and go for a combi. It never ceases to amaze me that English people love to store hot water in poorly lagged hot water tanks. This is unheard of on the continent. Combi's are easier to install, there is no hot water storage tank and no header tank in the loft. A lot less pipe work and also fewer electricity cables. I have a big combi boiler 102,000 btu (should heat half the street) heating an antiquated micro-bore system (should be banned by law). It's my second combi boiler and is the business. I installed a conventional boiler for my mother several years ago and have regreted it ever since.

Why don't you install the boiler (combi) yourself? If you did mechano as a child it should be child's play! Try to ignore the technical data it's for technical nerds only! Never be blinded by science I say.

Oh and wall mounted boilers are smaller than floor-standing boilers but you might need help hoisting them onto the wall because they are heavy. The new condensing boilers are very efficient.

Regards Alan from Exeter

Reply to
alanjones

I agree.

I am amazed too.

The UK and Ireland are alone in this setup.

That is not big.

Not in DHW it will not.

For what inexplicable reason?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I saw a great set-up the other day...

Unvented cylinder, heated via solar panels (actually evacuated tubes), which then passed through a Worcester condensing boiler for DHW. The boiler simply topped up any heat demand required. The cylinder sat at 25c even in the winter, therefore using a lot less energy to satisfy demand. Also had an immersion in case of boiler problems.

Probably not that rare - first one I've seen though.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

Does this mean they use properly lagged tanks on the continent? If so you should be advised they are available here too. And have been for many years...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What happens when the mains supply fails ? (Which happened to my village on Christmas Eve)

Cheers,

John

Reply to
john1_anderton

Gas mains? If you want full backup, have one gas boiler and one run of LPG bottles, and reserve genny to keep essential services going. I have not has a water or gas cut ever. Electricity has been no more than 1 hour once in blue moon. If you are rural with dicky supplies then take full and proper precautions.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel