boilers

Hi Looking for some info please. I have an old convensional boiler/central heating system with 13 rads,

7 off old. I am going to replace it with a combi and do away for the need for the H/W tank and storage tanks in loft. I bought a new condesing boiler 120000 Btu's with seven new rad's. boiler comes with a fly lead to connect to 230/240 V socket. I am going to do all my own plumbing as I always do + fit boiler to wall with horizontel flu through the wall etc. I could connect the gas as Iv'e done before but not supposed to, can I then call someone in to finnish of the gas connection and commisson the boiler?

How much can I do legally not forgetting it needs to be commisoned to get my two year warranty.

thanks ww.

Reply to
wwatson

You can do everything leggaly provided you are "competent", which if you are doing work in your own home is not defined.

A combi boiler may well need a new gas supply from the meter, and the pipe size would have to be calculated. Ed Sirett's FAQs are most informative.

However, a new boiler is now notifiable work under the Building Regulations, so if you DIY it you will need to make a B Regs application to the local council. You may also need to put in new control systems.

You may not find it easy to geta CORGI willing to commission someone else's work. However, given a boiler should last for years, does a manufacturer's two year warranty really give you very much in addition to your statutory rights? You could just do the whole installation and commissioning, and then get a CORGI to do a "landlord's" as a safety check - if you are competent.

Reply to
Owain

Hi Owain Firstly thanks for the reply, the boiler is in the out house about 18 inches from the gas meter, the new boiler will be going in the same place, the gas pipe run will be the same if not shorter. the flu will use the same hole in the wall. I am a 52 yr old mechanical engineer, now working within the aircraft engine industry. I have always done my own plumbing etc, fitted the last two boilers although the regulations have changed since. Is that what you mean by competent? Im not a plumber and not corgi I will be changing my old programer to a digital one (in kittchen) and intend to use the old wiring, the new boiler has a timer fitted inside it but it's not up to much, Could you tell me, will the new boiler be factory set ready to go or is this what the guy does when commissioning it?

thanks ww.

Reply to
wwatson

That would be a matter for you to judge.

You might also need radiator valves, boiler interlocking with a room stat to prevent cycling etc.

IANACOrgi and Ed Sirett's FAQS are essential reading. You would need to check/set things like burner pressure etc. Modern boilers are more likely to require a flue gas analyser, which can be hired I believe. The manufacturer's instructions will be specific.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

As long as you understand it is around 20 years out of date.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You offering to write an 'up-to-date' version? No, I thought not!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I offered help, he turned it down. His experience is limited. Sad but true.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I normally don't respond to you transparent attempts to troll.

However we have here a matter of verifiable history: You made some suggestions along with others, some matters were taken on board and others not.

I know that whilst I could improve the FAQs mostly I can't be bothered. The one, over which you have the most complaints, was written in part to help me explain the current regs to new customers. Some of whom want heating systems (by your reckoning) to be 40 years out of date.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Look up the meaning of troll.

What was taken on board? I am unaware of that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel