Boiler repair vs replacement

Hello all

Boiler is a Ravenheat HE 120 Lo Nox that was cutting out on 02 errors - flue system obstruction, and now has thrown a cog. If the power is turned off and turned back on again it sounds as if the burner is lighting but nothing else, when hot water is called for or the ch is turned on the pump comes on but no ignition to heat the water.

Googling suggests this is not one of the best boilers made, but to be fair you dont get many good reports only problems. The install and boiler are about 4 years old so not sure to get a new quote for a new boiler or a repair.

Any ideas for a layman's quick fix or a rough idea on the price for a boiler service and repair costs. ?

Thank you in advance

--

Reply to
Marvin

Is there an obstruction in the flue? If so clearing it would be cheap and probably fix your problem.

I can't see it could be cheaper to replace a 4 yr old boiler.

It depends on the problem. Talk to a reputable fitter and ask them.

Reply to
Mark

Assuming it has a fan to blow air into the boiler from the outside, this could be the problem - I have seen the same with another boiler (different make), and oiling the fan bearings fixed it.

We powered on the boiler with the fan exposed (It wouldn't actually fire with the cover off anyway) and when it tried to run the fan up, it was obvious it was running far to slow (it was only managing about 2 turns per second!)

Reply to
Toby

Hi Marvin,

It's not clear what you mean when you say it sounds as if the burner is lighting but no ignition - I'm guessing that you mean you can hear the ignition sparking, but the gas burners don't actually light?

I had a similar problem with another model of boiler a couple of years ago. In my case it turned out that the gas pressure was too low, and there was simply a screw I had to turn within the boiler to turn the pressure up. You could check the manual for that. The other possible causes for those symptoms as I recall were

- dirty (or otherwise faulty) electrodes (where the spark: if you don't mind opening up the burner chamber they're easy enough to clean or replace;

- some sort of problem with the gas valve: quite an expensive part to replace usually.

Cheers,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Thanks for the replies

The boiler didnt cost anything it was a freeby, I was only considering changing the boiler as i had (spit) looked at BG site for a onsite repair and it was about £192 or so and the cost of a new boiler, bearing in mind some of the horror stories I've read made me think that that price was 25% of a new boiler and if it continues to give problems then getting shot of it would be a option

I have emailed ravenheat and they have sent me the name of some local fitters. Im going to get one it to have a look and then make the decision.

thanks for all your help

--

Reply to
Marvin

Err, BG won't supply and fit a new boiler for 192 x 4 quid...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeah i know :)

The boiler cost to me is nothing. I was just trying to gauge how much a repair would cost vs a new boiler and BG's price for a one off repair was £192. My logic being if its a troublesome boiler(as per google) then paying out in the future for repairs it would be cheaper to get a new boiler.

cheers

Reply to
Marvin

In message , Mark writes

What a strange thing to say

Reply to
geoff

In message , Toby writes

temporarily

Reply to
geoff

In message , Marvin writes

and

Sound contradictory to me

Is it lighting or not ?

It is a save now pay later boiler, yes

Reply to
geoff

Ok to recap

If you turn the power off at the spur the boiler has no power :)

When you turn the power back on there is a quick flash of the lights on the boiler and a sound like a whoosh that sounds like its lighting.

When you turn on the hot taps or ch there is no burner light lite and no hot water, the pump does pump though.

cheers

--

Reply to
Marvin

So, is that in fact the fan ?

I think that you have to get in there and actually find out what is going on.

A useful diagnosis is difficult without useful input

Reply to
geoff

Cheers for the input im ok with spanners on a car but have never been inside a boiler in my life ill wait for the engineer to come look.

To reclarify the pump comes on and pumps but the flame does not come on and heat the water.

--

Reply to
Marvin

still works 2 years on.