Boiler rating confusion and flow rate

I have an old Genesis 80 combi boiler which could do with replacing.

It's not powerful enough for my house so I could do with a more powerful boiler.

I notice these days a lot of boilers are rated in kw and not btu.

Is there a way to compare them output wise?

Also, what would be a good flow rate to look for these days?

Steve...

Reply to
dog-man

1kW = 3412 btu/hr
Reply to
Jón Fairbairn

1Kw is 3412.14 Btu/hour

Combi boilers are often over rated for heating radiators quite a large heat output is needed to provide instant hot water. 28Kw is not uncommon and more that you would probably need to heat a 4 bedroom house.

You need to know how much heat your radiators can handle. Increasing the boiler size beyond the capacity of the radiators won't keep you any warmer. What may help you is ensuring that the central heating output temperature is set to its maximum value.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Thanks for the replies...

What would be regarded as a good flow rate these days?

Steve........

Reply to
dog-man

Pointless question unless you know what temperature uplift it can achieve at said flow rate.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

A kilowatt corresponds to about 3400 BTU per hour.

Surely that temperature uplift is given by the boiler's power rating. I.e. a 28kW boiler at full blast will be able to give an uplift of 4 degrees C to about 100 litres of water per minute, or of 16 degrees to 25 l/min.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

I would suggest reading the DIY combi FAQ:

Michael Chare

Good? 14 litres/minute. You can go up to 25 litres/min using an ATAG instant combi. Many other combis have stored water and can also deliver around 15 litres/min.

How many showers, baths, etc do you have?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Pointless question unless you know what temperature uplift it can achieve at said flow rate.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The defacto standard is a 35C uplift. Only in kitchen taps do you need temperatures over 45C. So, 45C at the taps (ideal for a shower) will give

10C incoming mains cold water temperature at approx 12 litres/min using a 28 kW combi. In summer when around 20C incoming temp, you will get 55C at the taps at 12 litres/min. Drop the temp by a faster flowrate (open up the taps more) and litres/min will rise.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel
1 x bath 1 x shower from bath taps (not electric) 2 x basins 2 x toilets 1 x sink

Washing machine is cold fill only.

It's a 4 bed, 3 storey old Victorian house with large rooms and high ceilings.

Steve...

Reply to
dog-man

Steve, Get the Avantaplus 35c at 14 litres/min or the 39C at 16. If you do mainly showers get the 35C. Also get the weather compenstion package. You will not reget it. Avantaplus are made by Remeha who bought out Potterton and Baxi.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel