Worcester boiler flow rate won't change

I have just fitted a brand new Worcester 24 Si combi boiler, and the CH seems to work fine, but the DHW seems to have a 'fixed' flow rate of about 7.7 L/min, whether the output temp chosen is 40c or 60c, and whether the incoming supply temp is 15c or 20c (haven't had cold enough weather to test it at say 5c yet); in other words, if the incoming water temp is 15c and i request DHW at 60c, it flows at 7.7 L/min, and if the incoming water temp is say 20c and i request DHW at only 40c, it flows at............you guessed it 7.7 L/min !!...so to recap, whether the boiler has to raise the temp by 45c or 20c, it always seems to flow at the same rate (7.7 L/min).

by the way, this is the first time i've fitted central heating, so i'm still learning and would appreciate all the help i can get many thanks to anyone who can help.

Reply to
cuckoo flower

The "rate" of flow is dependant upon the incoming pressure and the flow restrictor (usually in the cold inlet line at the flow detector switch. Plus any other restriction due to pipe lengths, type of tap in use, stop-tap opening etc. Your boiler temperature setting causes the flame to modulate up (to a maximum) or down from there to give the temperature you have asked for at the same flow rate for each. Are you perhaps thinking it is an electric shower where a higher flow gives a lower temperature?

Reply to
John

i suppose what i thought was that if i asked for a low(ish) temperature output of say 40c on a hot day (with, say a cold input of

20c), then the boiler would respond by 'upping' the flow rate as the requested temperature rise is easily achieved. (my incoming pressure gives 24L/min, by the way). but i take it the boiler just doesn't have the capability to vary the flow rate (other than to restrict it (to 7.7L/min in my case)), which brings me to the question: why do boiler manufacturers even mention the different flow rates a particular model could handle, if the restrictor is not adjustable (apart from removing/replacing it)
Reply to
cuckoo flower

Look at the specs. I think this combi raises the incoming main cold water by 35C to give aprox 10-11 litres/min. The instructions should indicate where the flow restrictor is to up the flow.

BTW, the mains temp is still low despite the hot weather. It takes about 3 months for the air temp to affect the ground temp at 700mm and below the earth surface.

It is true that the flow rate is pretty well set for the combi, with the only factor affecting it is the pressure of the mains itself.

Reply to
IMM

The restrictor is only one of a number of resistances to the flow all of which are in series. The size of the pipe from the mains is number one, the degree of opening of the stop tap is number two, the size and length of the pipe and number of bends between the stop tap and the boiler is number three, the setting of any service isolation valve on the boiler supply is number four, the flow restrictor is number five, the size and length of the discharge pipe between the boiler and the tap is number six, the size and setting of the tap is number seven. In conjunction with these resistances you must consider the pressure from the mains under dynamic (i.e. running) conditions to result in an actual flow rate. I suspect that since you say you can get 24litres/minute from the supply this may be at a tap near to the stoptap without the house pipework restrictions from number three onwards. Of course it might just be that some mains borne crud has become lodged in the flow restrictor or a strainer near it and all it needs is taking out and cleaning.

Reply to
John