Boiler

After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's heating system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely? 12 - 15 years old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Limescale build-up? Is the boiler kettling or making other noises.

If so a dose of boiler noise reducer or anti-kettling additive to dissolve the limescale may be worth a cheap gamble for curing the problem.

Reply to
alan_m

I live in a hard water area and my boiler was installed in 1988!

Reply to
charles

Could even be the result of power flushing if not done with care (i.e. remembering to take the boiler out of circuit prior to flushing so you don't end up flushing crap into the HX!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Quite possible in that timescale - the heat exchanger sees mains water all the time, so hard water will scale it up.

Reply to
Tim Watts

PS pressure cleaning will not fix the potable side of the heat exchanger.

You'd have to take it out and soak it in descaler for that.

But it's easier just to shove in a new unit at that point assuming that is cost effective.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Quite likely designed before boilers starting having low volume heat exchangers. Keep it going, any theoretical inefficiency will be offset by the cost and relatively short life of a modern boiler.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You are assuming its a combi, and in a hard water area as well... I was assuming he was talking about the main HX being (partly) blocked on the primary side. Perhaps the OP could clarify?

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

??It is a conventional Boiler - not a Combi

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Oh - yes, main HX... I just read it as the DHW HX.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Understood - in which case, has the plumber tried a chemical flush? (Non disruptive and low risk - inject one of these:

run for the recommended time, drain and refill.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Boiler blockage seems unlikely then. Flow failure is more likely to be down to crud in the pump impellor or settled at the lowest points in the system.

You can get a chemical that blocks holes in heat exchangers. You can run that for 14 years in a system with no filter, where the boiler kettles each time it runs and still not block the exchanger.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

New pump fitted last week. Old one was fine.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

So presumably non condensing at that age... What make and model is it?

Reply to
John Rumm

If you still have the old pump, then you could use it to lash up a power flushing system to try and clean the boiler. You would need a large tub for the water and some system cleaner, then some pushfit etc to allow you to pump directly through the boilers flow and return while isolated from the rest of the system. Should be possible with a few changes of direction to clear most blockages (unless its a spanner (literally) in the works!)

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wrote in news:W- snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Potterton something or other. I think he has committed to a new boiler.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Unlikely. But "silt" (metal oxides" could have wafted in from elsewhere in the system. Should be easy enough to dislodge if the boiler was taken outside and the garden hose applied to the connections.

The radiators could need the same treatment. If there is a lot of crud inside, it points to corrosion problems in the system, the radiators may all be shagged.

Benefits of anticorrosion treatment in the system. Made worse if the system has been "pumping over.

Reply to
harry

The Heating Engineer has proposed a new boiler in view of the problem and its age.

Stangely - despite his website saying he fits Worcester-Bosch and Veissemann, he is proposing a BAXI Ecoblue

I guess based on ease of fit. Are they any good?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I'd stick with WB or Viessmann - both have good reputations and I find my WB a decent bit of kit.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@squidward.local.dionic.net:

Unusually - the Baxi claims to not need an over-run on the pump.

Reply to
DerbyBorn