Boarding Problems

Hi

I have a toom that i want to expose the original boards. They are pine and about 125 years old. The problem is that i have had to replace a few, well about 1/2 actually and i am trying to find a way of staining the new to the colour of the originals.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Blu.

Reply to
BluDog

In message , BluDog writes

a selection of different stains, some scraps of the replacement boards, and some time.

Mix up different stains until you find a suitable match

Reply to
chris French

How about woodstain?

Be careful not to darken too much though because, with age, if the new boards are pine etc they will darken with age and exposure to sunlight.

All other woods will lighten in the sun.

Other option would be to apply a final coating of whatever you choose that has a UVA/B filter in it. I wouldn't rely on that though.

Personally, I love the OsColor (correct spelling) hardwax oils. They are not cheap but their performance is good and they are 'green'.

Take a look here

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

I have tried to do exactly that in my last two flats and my conclusions are that although you will never achieve a perfect match, you will greatly improve your chances of a nice finish if:

  1. you mix the new and old floor boards. Also, try not to put full-length new boards, but cut them at random lengths (to the joists of course)/ Could be too late for that, I know, but this is, in my experience, the most important part.
  2. apply _several_ layers of antique pine wood stain to the _new_ boards, and one, or perhaps two layers of stain to the old boards to try and achieve consistent finish. Screwfix do very nice and cheap ones, but you will need at least twice their recommended quantity with old boards. Still cost peanuts though.

Just my 2p-worth.

PS: I have many photos of both jobs (including the end results) that I will be happy to share with you if you like. Just leave your email here if you are interested. PPS: You haven't asked for it, but in my experience nothing beats Ronseal Diamond Hard clear varnish for the final coat (at least 2 layers). Expensive, but well worth it.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Too late for that, all the original boards are full length, so i have had to replace them.

I think this will be the solution i go for. Just picked up the sander, would be interested in how it ends up once the top layer is off.

Photos would be good, snipped-for-privacy@decNOSPAMsixth.co.uk... kill the NOSPAM.

Cheers

Blu.

Reply to
BluDog

Caustic soda is about the only thing that "ages" pine. In most cases the new/old difference is not a question of colour at all, and conventional woodstains are too bright anyway. Natural colours like tea and coffee mixed with the caustic are not bad, or walnut hulls if you have a tree locally.

Reply to
stuart noble

In message , BluDog writes

Not even the first idea what a toom is

Reply to
raden

In article , raden writes

Isn't it where they berry people?

Reply to
Peter Twydell

"raden" wrote | >I have a toom | >Has anyone got any ideas? | Not even the first idea what a toom is

Neither did I, but assuming the OP is using a western European keyboard the probability is that one of 5oom, 6oom, yoom, hoom, goom, foom, or room were intended.

Unless the OP has a particularly dire accent (in which case a design show on daytime TV beckons...) and lives in a padded cell it is unlikely he has a foam home.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Peter Twydell writes

Black or rasp ?

Reply to
raden

"> >>>I have a toom that i want to expose the original boards. They are pine

Currantly; no idea!

Also you have to be very careful with boarding.

Your 'guests' may end taking you in, instead of t'other way round!

Reply to
Terry

Place to keep your bier!

Peter Scott