Blood pressure

do.

Its the first indication of narrowing arteries. When they get to 99% blocked its a heart attack.

The bad news is that unless you are dying they will throw you out of A & E, I had to go back 2 days later, to end up with an emergency angioplasty and a mild heart attack, two weeks ago. Stress intolerance chest pain and irritation and unexplained fatigue and emotion are characteristic of inadequate oxygen to the heart.

If you can, get an angiogram.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They ramed pills into me to get it below 140. If its 180 I am in serious angina territory and heart attack mode

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

for ten minutes...

Take the pills and get angiograms and echocardiograms done, elevated BP is the first sign that the heart is under stress

You really need to know why, in order to get the right lifestyle changes and pill mixes

And many of the pills make you feel bloody weird. Amplodopine for me is like a bad acid trip and makes my ankles swell. Cant take statins or ace inhibitors, but can gulp enormous quantities of nitroglycerine with no real ill effects

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you are warm, your small blood vessels dilate. That is why it is not good for people with highr blood pressure to be cold; the opposite happens, making things worse.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I am glad that your doctor is not my doctor.

Stage 1 hypertension is defined as a clinic blood pressure reading of

140/90 mmHg or higher, or an ambulatory blood pressure daytime average or home blood pressure monitoring average of 135/85 mmHg or higher.

So do measure yours from time to time.

NICE guidelines say patients with stage 1 hypertension who have an estimated 10-year CVD risk of 10% should be offered BP-lowering drugs.

You can look here for a risk ccalculator:

Chris Bacon

The decision to treat hypertension is usually based on readings taken on 3 different days. Overtreatment could cause unnecessary adverse effects.

Reply to
Pamela

Robin formulated the question :

I don't think they can be used at altitude.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I don't think they calibrate using atmospheric pressure, in fact they don't calibrate at all.

the pressure measured is of course mm Hg over atmosphere in all cases, same as e.g. a car tyre would be.

because that is what the measure of how hard the heart is working, is

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is at odds with what I found when I had reason to look some years ago[1]. I'd welcome pointers to what leads you to the opposite conclusion. (And I am surprised there are not clear warnings in the instructions with BPMs to that effect.)

[1] e.g.

"In summary, based on the technical aspects of oscillometric and mercury blood pressure monitors, there is no reason to assume that altitude and/or lower barometric pressure will have any effect on their accuracy. This assertion may be best tested by performing measurements with a simulator at sea level and comparing these with measurements at lower atmospheric pressures. This could be done in a pressurised chamber in a laboratory or at different altitudes."

"Few studies have been conducted on blood pressure monitors and their use at high altitude. This study is the first to evaluate an automated blood pressure device at high altitude following a standard validation protocol. The Omron HEM-7201 upper arm automatic blood pressure monitor was tested for accuracy in Lhasa, Tibet, China (3650 m above sea level) according to the European Society of Hypertension International Protocol revision 2010 (ESH-IP2). ...The Omron HEM-7201 passes the ESH-IP2 validation criteria and can therefore be recommended for use in adults in this setting."

Reply to
Robin

I bought one of those 'Kardia' devices and if I am in doubt, I do a cardiograph on my phone and it is saved as a PDF. This can give a doctor some info although not from multiple points.

Reply to
jon

In my case it tends to go up when I'm stressed or worrying about things. Obviously the arteries do narrow as we age and its not healthy for it to be permanently high. I am on medication but I have to say the tightrope you walk seems to be between keeping it low but not so low that when you get up you get dizzy. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Well worth doing your BP every day. At the same time. Sit down and relax for about 15 minutes before taking it. Do it three times and write down the lowest in a chart. Best time probably late morning well after breakfast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

My GP does an annual medication review. Takes blood for analysis, and BP too. I'm on Losartan for BP - for a couple of years - and it seems to be working fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

To be fair she has asked me to measure twice daily over the weekend and Monday while calm and let her have the results Tuesday.

Reply to
R D S

I'm about 4+ stone overweight, get very little exercise and probably put away the recommended weekly alcohol intake every day.

So i'll work on that first and we'll see. It can't do other than good can it?

Reply to
R D S

Do you check your BP in both arms?

Reply to
Radio Man

I usually take two readings a day and use a spread sheet to record the values. I also calculate the running mean of 10 values and the running median of 10 values. I don't worry about an individual low or high reading but more so if the trend over a period of weeks or months is upwards (or consistently too low). By recording over a long period I don't worry about missing a day or two.

I'm possibly measured more often in the past three months than previously because of a change in medication, and some laziness during the last lockdown.

Reply to
alan_m

While I'm not quite in the same boat I find it very difficult to lose weight. My alcohol intake is lower than the recommended max which helps.

It annoys me that (allegedly) the EU prevented the calorie intake being included in labels for alcoholic beverages. I would hope that might change.

Reply to
Fredxx

Get a dog. One that needs lots of walks. That will reduce your weight unless you really have a diet problem. Stop smoking (if you do) and excessive drinking. Use Magnesium chloride as salt (sold as Lo-salt in the supermarkets). Don't use your car if your destination is walkable in 20-30 mins.

Reply to
Andrew

Ah I can see why the truth upsets you.

Anyone whos advice refers to the "BMI calculater" and getting on Statins; also to "stop consuming salt" is clearly a clueless, indoctrinated retard of the highest order... no doubt you go for your annual over 50's MOT check-up and lap up the next wave of prescriptions you're advised to take that boost the GP's purse.

You forgot to add the "don't eat eggs becuase they'll raise your cholesterol" FFS... .

You'll have to "plonk" this one too as I'm on a different computer but I'll certainly not miss your "head up arse" écoute et répétée regurgetation of media spew.

And FWIW I'm not trolling, I've actually been in this group for more than 25 years! so f*ck knows what rock you crawled out from but I'll not plonk you as it'll be interesting to see what other pearls of nano wisdom you can recite as fact.

That said, even though our views may differ... I LOVE YOU Chris Bacon, in a different time-line we mighteven be lovers but I'm not gay in this life so we'll just have to wait and see. XXX

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk